Vector art?

naqproductions

Ok so I watched what I think is the intro tutorial to the old Spriter and it said vector art was not supported... I was wondering if the new spriter was going to support vector art work. I would love love love to donate, but we need our game to be done with full scalable vectors. It's hard to tell because in the kickstarter video at the end when you are deforming the eye, that looks like it was vector made art, was it imported vector? Or saved as bitmap first and then imported? Thanks!

Thanks for your interest.

It was saved as a bitmap first then imported. Also, the feature being used there(freeform deformation) is a 'beyond our funding goal feature', that would be added post 1.0 if we exceed our funding goal enough.

However it would strictly be used to deform image data, there are no plans to add purely vector graphics at this time.

Hi naqproductions,

Spriter is currently targeted to be as flexible, easy to learn and use, and to export animations that are as cross platform as possible. Remember, all artists can produce bitmap images, not all can or like producing vector art, and more importantly, all game engines support images, and very few support vecotor..ispecially in a universally accepted format. It's certianly possible there will be some level of vector art support down the road, but that would come after Spriter was very feature complete for what it's designed for, and thats being the ultimate 2d game animation tool for everything from classic low res pixel art to modern 2d games like Muramasa... so the focus for now is on manupulating images (textures).

Also, keep in mind that becuase a game would need to use drastically fewer images for full animations, the few remaining images that are required can afford to be rediculously large. (depending on the target system)

Still, don't let this stop you form making specific feature suggestions... Depending on funding and the level of requests for features such as vector support, perhaps it will come sooner rather than later.

cheers,

Mike@Brashmonkey

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mike, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions thoroughly. I had a lot to learn about making a game and learned a lot from the guys at Klei Entertainment at PAX EAST a few weeks back. Spriter sounds like it will be great for building all of our character animations, can it export right now for use with a custom C++ game engine? Or would that be a future plug-in?

the format is made to be easy to implement on any platform, and the current beta download includes the information needed to implement. Currently in it's beta state, all that's required is reading the xml, which contains lists of sprites to put on screen and hold there until the next frame.

Anyone who can load XML in c++ (i recommend the tinyxml++ library), and can put sprites on screen should be able to implement the beta format very quickly. And we'll continue to update documentation with format descriptions, and eventually pseudocode for things like tweening, or procedural animation when those features are complete.

There have been over 14 different implementations since the kickstarter began, including one on a users personal game engine, which if I remember correctly was c++.