Spriter on Crossover for Mac (Wine)

Johannes

This topic is to try and install Spriter on mac using Crossover for mac.

As a Mac user Spriter currently works great for me in Parallels/VMWare and Bootcamp, but I'd like to try getting it to run natively, at least until the devs release a mac version as they've promised in some of the recent kickstarter updates.

So far I haven't had much luck when attempting to install Spriter through Crossover - I get the following message when I attempt to do so:

bwVfA.png.

This is in a brand new Vista bottle that I installed the following Runtimes on:

• [*:23shtiwg]DirectX 9
    [*:23shtiwg]'Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern
    [*:23shtiwg]Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (which automatically installs 1.0 through 3.5)
    [*:23shtiwg]Microsoft C++ 2008 Redistributable

Please keep in mind that this is purely an academic endeavor. I'm well aware that I can run Spriter via other means on a mac, and that a mac version is indeed planned. Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated here, especially if you are someone with wine experience.

Awesome. Great work Johannes. I wish you and fellow Mac users the best of luck figuring out how to run the current Spriter natively, but it the mean time its great to know there are otehr options.

cheers,

Mike@Brashmonkey

Thanks for the support!

After some more digging it seems the error I got was not specific to wine. The same issue has been mentioned in other places on the forums. Basically the current build of the beta has some specific dependencies: a certain version of DirectX (August 2008) and a certain version of Microsoft Visual C++ (the exact version is linked in this post)

While installing these dependencies in my VMWare virtual machine has allowed Spriter to run there, the same error still persists in my crossover installation, even after installing the same dependencies (even using the same installer files as with the virtual machine.

I have a feeling that once these dependencies are included in a future beta build that this error will go away, and hopefully then spriter will run under wine without issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Has anyone managed to get this working in Virtualbox + XP on OSX?

When I launch Spriter I get nothing, the process is running but nothing happens.

Any tips would be much appreciated (although, yes I realise this is beyond support and I could just run it from bootcamp).

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Has anyone managed to get this working in Virtualbox + XP on OSX?

When I launch Spriter I get nothing, the process is running but nothing happens.

Any tips would be much appreciated (although, yes I realise this is beyond support and I could just run it from bootcamp).

Cheers

Hmm, I haven't tried it with XP or Virtualbox yet.

Make sure though that you install the dependencies that you need - one for DirectX and one for Microsoft Visual C++. Check my reply above for a link two both.

Best of luck!

Hi Johanes, I got the beta Spriter working with Wine on Linux, my post here might help you with this.

That error message will probably go away if you copy the XAPOFX1_1.dll file into that Temp directory the error tells you.

I must also add that the directx and c++2008 runtimes the installer tries to install didn't work. I got the directx one from winetricks (d3dx9), but the c++2008 (vcrun2008) didn't work from there neither, copying that file did the trick instead.

Hope it helps, good luck!