Please post feature suggestions here.

Mike at BrashMonkey

Any chance to import swf animations in the future? I think such feature would be very much apreseated by animators who use flash and toon boom softwares but would like to have the animations more suitable for the game design that Spriter provides. For example, I feel more comfortable to use toonboom to animate but the only formats I can export in for game design is swf and png formats and I really like the way spriter allows to use the files in C2 so with importing swf files, the animator could just import the most complex part from flash/toon boom and do other small editing later in spriter. To me at least sadly spriter doesn't feel quite well yet for complex animations that I can handle a lot better in different software and well, most of the features used for animation are quite similar in spriter so importing the library graphic assets and keyframes could be possible, no?

1.Press "space": Play / Pause.

2.press"W,E":Previous Manual adjustment keyframe , Next Manual adjustment keyframe

3.Press the "up, down, left, right": spriter(picture) move one pixel(up, down, left, right).

4. Marquee select root keyframes w/o having to expand the timeline to get to subkeys. This has been a big time-killer in my Spriter workflow.

Combined DigitalSoapbox and pjs into my list.

So I just today started working with Spriter. There's a few things that come to my mind right away, and I don't know if these are already options within the program, but I could not find them in any logical place. If these options are already available, please let me know!

1) First of all, I'd like to see some more guides in the editor. Specifically, I want to set up a guide for a hit-box for my character. While working on the animations, I want to have a good sense of exactly what point an enemy or a wall will hit him, so I can identify right here what animations are going to be clipping through walls, detecting false hits, etc, and make adjustments right here rather than after I've exported everything and set it up. So I'd like to be able to put up some guide-lines and/or guide-box so I can see what that area is.

I suppose I *could* drop in a box sprite at the back of my animation and simply remove it when I export, but that really seems unprofessional and awkward.

2) Secondary to that, I'm kind of unsure what sort of "scale" I'm looking at within the editor. Of course such things can be adjusted, but if I just drop a sprite into my scene, I'd like to have some clear idea of how big that will look once exported. A grid in the background would be nice; something I can adjust to fit whatever my end-goal is, like show what a 64x64 pixel square would be.

3) And as a third form of guide, I'd like to be able to set up a moving ground guide or a motion guide to help me make sure a moving animation looks right.

The way I imagine it working is I declare that I want one, and a checkerboard pattern appears in the background, (sized to match the grid or sized according to custom parameters) and then I tell it to move (for example) to the right at a speed of 640 pixels per second, or 10 (64^2 blocks) per second. (Or it could just be the same guide as I mentioned above, but now moving, and checkered.) At any given time index, the guide will have moved as far as it would in that timeframe. In the example given, the guide would look exactly the same at 0 seconds as at 1/5 of a second, and at 1/10 of a second the checkerboard pattern would be completely reversed.

This way I can make sure that my walking animation looks proper for a given speed. Ideally, a feature could be implemented where the editor can anchor a sprite to this guide, so I could set a foot down, declare it to anchor at that timeframe, and then as I advance the time I will see the foot get pushed back exactly equal to the speed of that guide, meaning if the character moves at that exact speed the foot will look like it remains on the ground.

It would be especially useful it I could adjust the guide to scale in individual axes or rotate it; then I could create animations for things like climbing stairs and slopes very easily.

Let's see, what else...

4) Is there a way to set an sprite to have its pivot point default to the exact center? Seriously, that should be default.

Hi,

I do a lot of my animation as a pencil test before moving onto the cut out version. I use the pencil test as a reference!

For this reason I have to ask- are there any plans to implement the ability to import an image sequence to the timeline as a layer?

It would be very useful to animators! Thanks

Keep all these great suggestions comming everyone. We value them greatly!

Most of what's mentioned as far as UI and workflow is definately already planned...specifically:

There will be guide grids and guide background images in the future.

There will be a way to load in sequential images as an animation..already spaced evenly to the set total duration you desire!

There will be an easy way to use sequential images as guides for your keyframes.

There will be more keyboard shortcuts and in the long run they will be customizeable (can't say how soon this part will happen though)

The canvas will let you know what your current zoom level is.

..and many more UI and workflow improvements and additions yet to come, durring and far after the remaining journey to version 1.0.

Also, @ LadyApoLLo,

All kinds of awesome flag and variable related features should appear in this now quite overdue next build release. Sorry for the delay...Edgars working super hard to get it out asap and make it well worth the wait.

cheers everyone...and thanks again for your continued patience,

Mike at BrashMonkey

I don't know this is suggested, but I think for interactions between characters or with objects would be easier if two animation can be played same time on screen.And I got a question:What can be done for running while reloading or similar type two different animations on same object, without creating new animation for standing reloading, and running reloading, or jumping reloading?What I'm trying to say is limb independent animation or something :D What can be done?

• 2 weeks later...

-option to switch between FPS and MS

-different interpolation options between keys and/or ease in/ease out parameters (ex. smooth tangents or linear tangents in Maya)

-something like Trax editor in Maya so you can create animations that can be blended together (solution to what @Grimm is asking for)

There will be a way to load in sequential images as an animation..already spaced evenly to the set total duration you desire!

Yes ! I really need that ! :)

We need a way to make curveType = instant to all frames in a timeline, because setting it manually for all frame is too long.

-A way to import many parts from one image, like Unity. I find myself making a whole character, then I part him/her out and have to crop every piece. The parts would have to be spaced out in the image. If Spriter could do this, then work time would be cut significantly.

-Is there a way in skin mode to rotate the points? Selecting multiple points, then rotate those from an origin point?

• 3 weeks later...

Being able to freeze items

Activate / desactivate the autokey feature would be great, Being able to switch into a mode without autokey and so with permanent changes, like for the z-order for example, being able to change the z order just one time for the whole animation.

Being able to modify several curves at a time

Snap to X or Y axis like in Photoshop while moving items.

Snap to 45 degrees positions while rotating items.

IK doesn't really work properly, the IK Handle is not movable when we try to move it and moreover it moves when the root of the IK is animated what is not supposed to happen.

In the hierarchy window, we can't modify hierarchy with several items at a time and moreover when this window is detached the manipulations in it doesn't work at all anymore.

Same kind, in the Z-order window, we can't modify z-order with several items at a time.

Object properties window is not refreshed when we move through the timeline.

A neutral pose on bones feature would be great, because we can't reset position from a frame to an other which can be annoying when we want to be precise in the animation.

Z value tweening

You have X & Y, but no Z value.

Even if you aren't prepared to change the rendering engine to allow for scaling based on Z value, it would be a great value to have tweened for runtime effects with 2.5D engines like FlatRedBall.

It might be too late in the game for this, and it would probably interfere with current and future IK code. It would even be a bit troublesome to incorporate into the GUI, but I think it might be worth it...

Here's my idea: the "inherit" values (rotation and scale) of a bone should be numerical values instead of booleans. Basically, they would represent what fraction of its parent's rotation/scale is applied to a given bone. A good choice would be a float, so that the range 0.0-1.0 would equate to the existing "range" of false-true. A percentage would also work. It shouldn't be clamped to 0-1, though; negative values or values greater than one might produce some interesting effects...

The main use I can think of for this is to help with flexible things like tails, whips, backbones, etc., but you never know how useful a tool can be until you make it and get it into the hands of a large user base, right? (Case in point: Spriter itself!)

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to suggest about cutscene, in the past, doing a cutscene in programming is a great waste of time, I was thinking about spriter would create cutscene as another method, actually, I'm not sure Spriter is a right tool for cutscenes, I think some features are required to do cutscenes:

-Play loop animation on object in every frames like walk animation.

-Toggle Visible/Invisibility (Optional)

I think this suggestion is very important.

Thanks.

I would like to suggest about cutscene, in the past, doing a cutscene in programming is a great waste of time, I was thinking about spriter would create cutscene as another method, actually, I'm not sure Spriter is a right tool for cutscenes, I think some features are required to do cutscenes:

-Play loop animation on object in every frames like walk animation.

-Toggle Visible/Invisibility (Optional)

I think this suggestion is very important.

Thanks.

that is a good idea.

Hi,

Snapping interval in frames is a great feature and thanks for that. I would like to have a drag and drop feature on the timeline.

For example, you select a group of images and drag them to the timeline. Then Spriter drop all the images in order on the timeline (image_001 in frame 1, image_002 in frame 2, etc.). I'd really appreciate this feature.

Hi,

Snapping interval in frames is a great feature and thanks for that. I would like to have a drag and drop feature on the timeline.

For example, you select a group of images and drag them to the timeline. Then Spriter drop all the images in order on the timeline (image_001 in frame 1, image_002 in frame 2, etc.). I'd really appreciate this feature.

I think you will be pleased with Spriter b8.

I would like to request:-

1)Enable on/off grid in the layout with ability to change grid size (like in construct 2)

2)Show ruler on top and left of the layout like in inkscape

3)Add ability to invert the sprite with invert vertical or invert horizontal link in inkscape. This is because I like to use same sprite arm, eye, eyebrow for left and right (depends or character design). Having to invert the sprite manually is kinda hard to make it identical. Also is this optimum way ?

1)Enable on/off grid in the layout with ability to change grid size (like in construct 2)

3)Add ability to invert the sprite with invert vertical or invert horizontal link in inkscape. This is because I like to use same sprite arm, eye, eyebrow for left and right (depends or character design). Having to invert the sprite manually is kinda hard to make it identical. Also is this optimum way ?

Add my vote for all of these, as well as quick keys/buttons for 90° rotations (and please assign "H"/"V" to flips and "L"/"R" for rotations).

@Tumira: a work-around for exact flips is to negate the value in one or both of the scale boxes, under "Object Properties". E.g. (-1.0, 1.0) would be a horizontal flip (but it would work with any existing scale value).

Add my vote for all of these, as well as quick keys/buttons for 90° rotations (and please assign "H"/"V" to flips and "L"/"R" for rotations).

@Tumira: a work-around for exact flips is to negate the value in one or both of the scale boxes, under "Object Properties". E.g. (-1.0, 1.0) would be a horizontal flip (but it would work with any existing scale value).

@RunnerPack. Thank you.

• lucid unpinned this topic