Please post feature suggestions here.

Mike at BrashMonkey

just wondering is the skin system ever going to get an update? sure its possible to use now but it crashes continuously, wasjust wondering if its going to get an update or if it has been abandoned for spriter 2. if so kinda feel disappointed as it kinda makes spriter feel unfinished.love spriter by the way just wish some of the features worked as intended.

6 minutes ago, NarwhalAndNot said:

just wondering is the skin system ever going to get an update? sure its possible to use now but it crashes continuously, wasjust wondering if its going to get an update or if it has been abandoned for spriter 2. if so kinda feel disappointed as it kinda makes spriter feel unfinished.love spriter by the way just wish some of the features worked as intended.

No, Spriter 2 which will be a free upgrade for Spriter owners will have features like deforming from the first release. I suggest you look for threads by community member bwwd if you want to use the skin feature and avoid the bugs as much as possible. He uses it consistently to create great animations and knows the best ways to avoid its shortcomings.

This update post explains why: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter/posts/1386631

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

On 09/02/2016 at 4:01 PM, BrashAdmin said:

No, Spriter 2 which will be a free upgrade for Spriter owners will have features like deforming from the first release. I suggest you look for threads by community member bwwd if you want to use the skin feature and avoid the bugs as much as possible. He uses it consistently to create great animations and knows the best ways to avoid its shortcomings.

This update post explains why: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter/posts/1386631

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

ah cool thank you for the fast reply :) 

31 minutes ago, aiat_gamer said:

This is really needed: Selecting a bone to show only keys for that bone. 

This already exists (if I understand correctly.)  Select anything in the canvas, then right click in the left area of the timeline palette where it shows the timeline for all objects and choose "show selected objects only"

I might have the name wrong as I'm not currently in Spriter.

cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

In my pipeline, I need to export seperate frames on each animation by itself (so not a sprite sheet, but an image sequence for every animation) so I can generate normal maps for them on Sprite Illuminator, then pack using Texture Packer. An organized folder structure is essential to avoid messing things up.

What I need is a checkbox on Export dialog (when using "seperate numbered image files") to create folders for each animation (named by animation itself) and export their frames into the necessary folder.

11 minutes ago, programad said:

Lock a bone tip to enable the user to move the other bones by IK. I need this to help make four-leged animals idle animation. Lock the paws and move only the body.

You can also de-child feet images from the parent bone BEFORE ANIMATING if you want them to remain completely static throughout the animation.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

I'm having some frustration with the "Edit Image's Default Pivot" window.  It works, but it could use a bit of an improvement.  I'd like to see it maintain its previous size when closed then reopened (say, when adjusting the pivot points over many sprites.  It would also be ideal if we could edit the pivot then switch to a new Sprite without having to close the window.  It would make comparing the pivot of 2 sprites much easier.  For the record, I'm working with smaller sprites from a mobile game

I'd also like to see a "compact" option of the Z-order panel.  Larger builds get a little unwieldy when having to drag assets up past the top of the panel.  I do know about the hotkeys but I generally want to compare it beyond what's visually happening.

Ordered by priority / Realisticnes.

1.) Dynamic outlining -- could be cool if you could choose a brush size, color, and an amount of overlap, (i.e. so you can see a little bit of the muscle crease, etc., if you set it to 0, there are no overlapping outlines, if you set it to 1, it completely outlines every shape) -- this seems like it would be pretty easy to do with some zbuffer magic and it would be amazingly useful if you're like using scaling a lot in your animations (scaling tends to really mess up the outlines), or if you're trying to keep your work consistent between different sized sprites (i.e. when you scale them to be the same size, the outlines on one will be huge, versus the other).

2.) Remember my export settings for a given sprite (having to write down the left, right, top, and bottom and re-enter them every time is painful).  And remember my export scale settings for a given project (switching between projects and having to change between 25% and 100% when exporting is painful).

2.5 [nice-to-have]) Give me a damn preview of the animation I'm exporting in the export dialog box -- or at least some kind of warning that a part of my animation is going to be chopped off with a given export setting, etc.

2.667 [nice-to-have]) Instead of making me choose the size of the export, let me choose the *center* of the object I'm exporting -- you can scale each frame to fit the animation exactly, and as long as that point is in the center (i.e. if the right edge gets pushed out, push out the left edge too, etc, etc.) -- if you do it this way, everything will be fine, because dividing by 2 is easy!

3.) LAYERS!!! -- Both for designing and exporting (Designing: toggling a layer visibility on/off, or locking a layer, excluding or including a layer's properties in an animation keyframe, etc. -- changing a whole layer's Z-Index or opacity all at once at design time, etc.) -- (for exporting: this would be great for when we need to do multiple render passes, so you end up needing to have an export of JUST the arms, because they render on top of everything, versus just the body, or just the head, etc. -- this is very painful right now, you have to go through the whole animation and change the visibility of EVERY SINGLE PART, SOMETIMES IN MULTIPLE FRAMES -- FOR EVERY SINGLE "LAYER" you want to export -- it is EXTREMELY PAINFUL!!!)

4.) Export to sprite sheet (right now, I have to export to an animated gif, and then import that into a new Pyxel edit animation, to export a sprite sheet -- it's super painful -- would be good if you could export a sheet with all of my animations and parts on it, with a new row for each "layer" or animation, etc.)

5.) Dynamic Lighting (you have Z-order, you can tell that the head is "above" the neck, and that maybe the neck should be slightly shaded, etc.) -- Doesn't have to be at runtime, if it could be precomputed at render time that would be awesome.

6.) Ability to add a Tint (this is something that's easy to do in software or hardware -- basically you just covert the colors to a vector4 and multiply them -- in MonoGame/XNA you get the ability to render sprites with tints "for free" -- to render without tints, you just pass in white -- because it works out as "Identity" -- but it would be really cool to just change the tints in the sprite in my spriter project and see the result, live, edit the curves, etc, and not have to hard code it all in the game engine. -- A common usage for this is like when your player gets hurt, and he needs to flash red, etc, you can just fade the tint between white and red -- or if you want to reuse the same sprite for multiple colors, you can just make the "colored" parts grey-scale and change the tint on those parts in the animation.

7.) Linked Animations -- maybe this is there, but I couldn't find it -- but instead of cloning an animation, make a way to "reference" it, or link to it -- so like, if you have a good walk cycle, and you want to clone it for another animation, but then later on, you want to tweak the walk cycle, those updated should be reflected in the "linked" animations too...

14 hours ago, avencherus said:

Great tool.  What would be handy is if there were a slider control on the time line, that allowed you to "zoom" in and out.  Shrinking and expanding like in most video editing software.

I also look forward to mesh warping.  X)

Thanks for the feedback. If your mouse is over the timeline, holding control and using the mouse wheel will zoom in and out.

11 hours ago, BrainSlugs83 said:

2.) Remember my export settings for a given sprite (having to write down the left, right, top, and bottom and re-enter them every time is painful).  And remember my export scale settings for a given project (switching between projects and having to change between 25% and 100% when exporting is painful).

4.) Export to sprite sheet (right now, I have to export to an animated gif, and then import that into a new Pyxel edit animation, to export a sprite sheet -- it's super painful -- would be good if you could export a sheet with all of my animations and parts on it, with a new row for each "layer" or animation, etc.)

You already can export to sprite-sheets, sequential images or GIF animations with Spriter Pro.

http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter_manual/exporting%20animations%20as%20images%20or%20gifs.htm

7.) Linked Animations -- maybe this is there, but I couldn't find it -- but instead of cloning an animation, make a way to "reference" it, or link to it -- so like, if you have a good walk cycle, and you want to clone it for another animation, but then later on, you want to tweak the walk cycle, those updated should be reflected in the "linked" animations too...

Are you aware of character maps? This would allow you to make one walk animation and use it for multiple character variants.. and editing the one walk cycle would effect all character variants.

thanks for all the other suggestions.
cheers.
Mike at BrashMonkey

I know that you can show and hide various items in the Timeline to "clean it up" a bit, and that you can toggle only showing selected, but if  every  second row was a different colour that would help visually sort the list.  I thought it might be nice if the bones were colourable and the colour matched the bones but that may not be the best solution.   Pretty much anything that helps visually separate adjacent items would help.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't find this suggested anywhere. On OS X, when using the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad, it is too easy to accidentally scroll - which rapidly zooms in/out. Is there any way to change it so I can maybe hold down Control or something to zoom in/out when scrolling? If not, I'd love to have this feature implemented. 

On 25/09/2010 at 10:26 PM, BrashAdmin said:

Hi everyone.

Please use this thread to post any suggestions you might have for features.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi BrashAdmin

I was thinking because not everyone can buy the art packs and find sprites, you should make a separate software that is used to DRAW the sprites and filter them in .png files!

this would be cool and attract other people to use Spriter essentals, or even pro! But mainly my concern is that I really want to use spriter for free not for money so yeah please reply. Also if you agree (other users) just reply and say you agree!

On 30/10/2014 at 9:36 AM, Jonjon said:

Will you have this kind of feature soon? I saw in a video that you have something that looked like a bicep flexing...

How about being able to turn a solid leg with a foot into a 3 point bone system like this dino monster?

]

I Noticed that spine ( the animation in this  video ^ ) is not as good as spriter (the free version- I use free spriter :( ) so be happy people seeing this reply!

Hiya. I'm slowly building over time a virtual pet that includes breeding as an option, and skins are not quite sufficient for my variation purposes.

What I'm looking for is the ability to assign color indices to each piece and then programmatically tint all pieces of a given index (so that there are potentially an infinite number of color variations for a given character). E.g. say the body has two parts, main and underbelly. I want to be able to set main to 'color 1' and underbelly to 'color 2' and then assign what those colors are in the game.

Not sure if this is reasonable or not. I have a hunch I could use the tags in Spriter already to accomplish this (though I'm a much better artist than programmer). But I thought it was worth throwing out there anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...

Three Things would be nice to see to ease workflow:

-The ability to detach bones from their child sprites just to reorient them and then reattach them. This is just an issue I had when I put sprites in as negative x or y values as part to the animation and then the bone was facing the wrong way. I get that the bone can have the x and y value inversed as well but that didn't apply in this case

-It would be good to be able to animate certain bones or sprites independently from the main keyframes. In fact i feel think that the main keyframes usually hinder my work and always have the "only show selected" box checked in the timeline. Currently if you need to go back and change something, you're forced to go through every keyframe and change it which can quickly become a mess.  This includes adding a new sprite that you want to be there through a portion of the animation. Or if you want to animate separate parts of the entity at a time you're hindered from going back and changing the other parts because the timeline added keyframes to every part of the entity. Where ctrl+shift+v is the hammer, I think a scalpel would be nice as well.

-copying in objects from outside frame 000. If I currently try this, like an arm from later in the animation made of different sprites it flies off to some random part of the animation with a different orientation. I guess this is a bug as well but it doesn't seem to bother me because it's about needing to paste something. The image is of this bug. 

Thanks,

levi

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 7.58.08 PM.png

I'm using Spriter skin mode for my current game and it's work great(with some limited).  I know that full skin mode still have a lot of works to implement.

But is there a chance to make skin-object can edit alpha/opacity on upcoming version?

It will be a great help because current skin mode have some problem when I swap/change part (like close hand/open hand).  

So I can make many hand objects and swap unused parts by change opacity to zero.

• lucid unpinned this topic