Please post feature suggestions here.

Mike at BrashMonkey

I got it to work by implementing var_defs inside Spriter2Unity (but not the <meta> tag). It's not complete but for the moment it allows me to assign a SpriteCollection directly inside Spriter...It'd be cool if you could update your reference doc as well, I think that would make it easier to implement the various Spriter features.

Ok I'll stop bothering you now with my posts haha. Thanks for reading.

Glad you got your needs met. :) Edgar (Spriter's programmer) is working on a totally new, fully featured and documented generic Spriter implementation ( IO believe in C++) which will be a complete replacement of the old reference document.  It's out top priority, but we can't yet say when it will be ready and released.

Thanks,
Mike at BrashMonkey

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't know if this is kind of a bug or a behaviour to be developed but the current scene and images do not follow OR display OR sync with all "Undo steps" visually... Undo steps are kind of happening silently and I can hardly tell where the change has occured if I'm on another frame... and when I return back to a previous frame I see that the action specific to that frame is "undone" indeed. This sometimes causes a little confusion even if we have history panel at the right lower corner since the actions written on the history are not named specific to frames.

This can be enhanced a bit more, maybe?

Thanks,

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is a tired old question, but I can't seem to find any info beyond whats been posted 6+ months ago. It's regarding mesh/ skin deformation, has there been movement on this, have you been able to implement it like you wanted to? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

I like the new shortcuts list! Any chance it'd be possible to change keyboard shortcuts inside the list in later releases? I got really comfortable using Ctrl+Shift+Z for undo, since most of the programs I use have it set to that instead of Ctrl+Y. Or is there a configuration file I can change settings in?

Another Idea I had was to add "Color Blend" to the Object Properties, that way certain effects like turning to stone, a transformation with a bright flash, or adding an outline around the character by making the images slightly larger at the lowest depth, and then setting the color to black. Or eye that glows red momentarily :smile:

The upcoming features sound great! Deformation and Game Maker Studio support will be pretty awesome  :grin:
Would we be able to attach the deformation points of images to individual bones? That way we could bend limbs, animate breathing by moving a chest bone, or make tails out of one long image.

If deformation works off of vertices, would we be able to set the subdivision level? Developers would be able to cut down on CPU+GPU usage when using real-time skeletons, and animators who export sprite sheets could get higher quality deformations.  :smile:

I'm new to animation but Spriter makes it easier to learn. I don't know if color blending or mesh subdivision has already been suggested, but I think it'd be pretty useful in some cases.

Overall, the program is very slick and easy to use. Nice choice of colors for the interface too, keep up the great work!

Thanks a bunch,
Luke Lan Faust

Hi, LukeLanFaust,

Pretty much everything you've requested/suggested is planned. We just can't say exactly how soon each specific feature will appear. The reference implementation will definitely come first, though. Thanks again, everyone, for your patience.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi manfred89,

Sorry for the huge delay on this feature. The reference implementation (the one that is taking longer) is the critical first step to finally get the deform feature into Spriter in as powerful, flexible and easy to use a form as possible.  It's a feature we're really excited about too, and we very much regret the delay in bringing it to Spriter. We can only promise we'll do our best to make it worth the wait.

Cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is a tired old question, but I can't seem to find any info beyond whats been posted 6+ months ago. It's regarding mesh/ skin deformation, has there been movement on this, have you been able to implement it like you wanted to? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hi manfred89,

Sorry for the huge delay on this feature. The reference implementation (the one that is taking longer) is the critical first step to finally get the deform feature into Spriter in as powerful, flexible and easy to use a form as possible.  It's a feature we're really excited about too, and we very much regret the delay in bringing it to Spriter. We can only promise we'll do our best to make it worth the wait.

Cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Ok Mike, thanks for the reply, looking forward to it when it does arrive :)

Hi,

I would love to have better folder/project management capabilities in Spriter.

For example, when we change the folder structure of the project, Spriter may ask to locate the new folders for missing images when loaded.

or can automatically locate the new pathways to images looking for file names (but this can cause a mess if there are many files with same names in different folders, so it might be better to use the "manual locating" as suggested in the above bold text).

Cheers,

In a game I've been working on, I figured out how to code tweening using these examples and some allow over shoot and bouncing. Maybe Spriter could have an "Advanced tweening" option in the tween editor.

Example of variables you would have access to:

// A value between 0-1, which would be the percentage until next keyframe value)t = time;// A value between 0-1, which would be the percentage between the current keyframe and the next.// 0 = current_value// 1 = destination_valuev = value;

So the default text box would contain:

// A linear movement without a curve.v = t;

What the user could type in:

v = sin(tan(t)*0.05);

That could allow people to make custom tweens that have specialized movements, and give a little more control to advanced users. I'm sure there's a lot more complicated ways to tween then the example page I linked to, but I figure it uses the same principles.  ;)

Cheers,
Luke Lan Faust

I'm really enjoying the "Copy Z order to other frames", very handy.

However, is it possible to expand on this a bit further and make a version that "Copy Z order to remaining frames". Basically copy the Z order you have in the current frame, but only to the ones after it, not the ones before.

I don't believe this is possible from what I'm seeing so far, but if I'm wrong, please let me know.

Thanks

Here are just a few things I would like to see in Spriter. I don't know if any of these are possible or being planned to go in Spriter anyway. I will list the feature then its functionality.

• Import Illustrator files - This can be useful as layer and group information can be accessed from the .ai files all within Spriter.
  • Cut/Knife Tool - This can be used to cut 'Texture Sheets' e.g http://i.imgur.com/KnqKDfn.png. Having the ability to cut these parts within Spriter and save those parts as components ready to be used all within Spriter.​

​I know the first request may be a bit much but Illustrator is a very viable program to have native support within Spriter. Most game artists that develop for mobile and work with 2D use Illustrator, I think that justifies enough to have native support within Spriter :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi YanDaik,

Can you please explain more specifically what you want to do..you can already select a bone then change its length or width in the properties panel... Do you mean without effecting child images or bones? You could un-child the child objects to do that, then re-parent them.

I think perhaps I just am misunderstanding what you want to do though.

-Mike@BrashMonkey

Hi, Mike.

May be i'm looking into another direction, but i cant find these parameters in the properties panel.

I see there only x, y, x-scale, y-scale, angle and alpha.

What i mean is this:

In the scml file there are such strings

<obj_info name="bone_000" type="bone" w="25.6" h="10"/>
<obj_info name="bone_001" type="bone" w="45.6281" h="10"/>
<obj_info name="bone_002" type="bone" w="38.2832" h="10"/>

I want a property which will allow to change those "w" and "h" parameters.

And copying and pasting functions are not working properly between two windows of Spriter.

Thank you.

Eyyy~~!! So i've got a few suggestions on how to beef out the feature set of Skins in Spriter. 

So while you're in the Skin mode and grabbin' a bunch of dots, it'd be nice have the ability to scale and rotate them as a whole. It'd also be really nice to have an anchor point that you can move around and use as the origin for rotation.

Vu3lRqH.png

6mXyYi7.png

R3P0JB5.png

Also, I think that the dots should have a bigger invisible clickable area. The dot size is nice, doesn't get in the way, but you should increase the size of it "invisibly" and add a subtle highlight to indicate, which point you'll be clicking.

lkolAls.png

Ah, I guess you want to edit the bones "default" width and height?  I'll pass the suggestion on to Edgar, and link him to this post. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi, Mike.

May be i'm looking into another direction, but i cant find these parameters in the properties panel.

I see there only x, y, x-scale, y-scale, angle and alpha.

What i mean is this:

In the scml file there are such strings

<obj_info name="bone_000" type="bone" w="25.6" h="10"/>
<obj_info name="bone_001" type="bone" w="45.6281" h="10"/>
<obj_info name="bone_002" type="bone" w="38.2832" h="10"/>

I want a property which will allow to change those "w" and "h" parameters.

And copying and pasting functions are not working properly between two windows of Spriter.

Thank you.

It'd be nice to have separate options to allow or prevent bone movement. I know you can toggle each bone's constraint individually, but sometimes I just want to avoid accidentally moving a bone instead of rotating, scaling, etc.

For example, it you wanted to rotate the upper arm, sometimes grabbing near the end would grab the base of the lower arm and cause you to move it instead. Maybe a modifier key? Blender uses keyboard shortcuts like S: scale, G:translate, R:rotate. So by having a bone already selected, you could just hold down R and click anywhere in the canvas to make that bone rotate like normal.

When selecting bones, sometimes it's hard to click them. Is there any chance of expanding the the selectable area around them? Right now it seems like the cursor can only select it if it's right above the bone. 

Maybe have a transparent border appear when the cursor is near?

A checkerboard patterned background would be nice, maybe a toggle to overlay the pattern? It could just take the current color, invert the brightness value, and tile it with a low alpha value. Sometimes the blank canvas looks a little jarring, though I might be used to using art programs where transparency is marked in such a way.

EDIT:

http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3500-ik-targets/

When I set a foot to be the end of an IK chain I would like to be able to then pick up the foot and move the leg by dragging a target helper object around.
This would be the same for an arm, link a target object to a hand then drag the arm around like in other animation apps.

Currently when I assign IK to the end of a chain it just gets anchored in place with a red dot and cannot be moved.
The IK works in reverse as in I can move the body towards the anchor and the limb bends but this is not very helpful for creating walks and stuff.

Am I missing something obvious?

Would this be possible? I could see how moving the IK anchor point could speed animating in some ways.

I tried separating each subject so it'd be easier to read since there was quite a few ideas I had, so if it helped I'll try to format my ideas this way in the future.

Cheers,
Luke Lan Faust

Just to clarify for anyone who is reading this thread, skin mode is currently a place-holder, proof of concept feature, and should be used at your own risk and with the understanding that any bugs found will not be fixed, and eventually the feature will be completely replaced with the real version, which most likely will not be compatible.  Meaning at some point, a future update of Spriter might no longer support it and it's highly unlikely any Spriter implementation will ever support this current (place-holder) version of the feature.

We apologize for the delay in making the real version of the feature, but we must finish the new reference implementation first, as it will introduce much more flexibility in the data management and manipulation needed to make the real skin mode as powerful and easy to use as we plan.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

• 3 weeks later...
  • lucid unpinned this topic