Spriter Won't Launch

Destron

Hello, 

I am using the Steam version of Spriter on Windows 11, and it refuses to launch. It doesn't give me any errors, the only indications I can see it is doing anything is because in Steam the launch button will change to stop for a moment then revert back.

I have tried to search around and troubleshoot. I already have all versions of the Visual C++ Redistributable from 2005 to current installed. I tried to uninstall and reinstall and no go. I also have Adobe Creative suite installed. 

Some of the dlls I have notices people getting errors on are the same errors I received trying to use Moho, and that program works fine. I don't actually get any errors - just nothing. 

Not using an any antivirus - just Windows defender and firewall. 

Here is the startup log contents:

BrashMonkey Spriter - Version r9

Setting up main window...
Successful.

Initializing model...
Successful.

Setting up widgets...
Successful.

Setting up graphics viewport with openGL...
Successful.

Spriter launched successfully.

Ironically it does work on my Mac..... I assume using Proton?

If you guys could offer any help, would be much appreciated! 

Edited by Destron
Added info

On 1/31/2022 at 12:02 AM, Destron said:

Hello, 

I am using the Steam version of Spriter on Windows 11, and it refuses to launch. It doesn't give me any errors, the only indications I can see it is doing anything is because in Steam the launch button will change to stop for a moment then revert back.

I have tried to search around and troubleshoot. I already have all versions of the Visual C++ Redistributable from 2005 to current installed. I tried to uninstall and reinstall and no go. I also have Adobe Creative suite installed. 

Some of the dlls I have notices people getting errors on are the same errors I received trying to use Moho, and that program works fine. I don't actually get any errors - just nothing. 

Not using an any antivirus - just Windows defender and firewall. 

Here is the startup log contents:

BrashMonkey Spriter - Version r9

Setting up main window...
Successful.

Initializing model...
Successful.

Setting up widgets...
Successful.

Setting up graphics viewport with openGL...
Successful.

Spriter launched successfully.

Ironically it does work on my Mac..... I assume using Proton?

If you guys could offer any help, would be much appreciated! 

Hmm... I've never heard of this before. This makes me think it's a problem specifically with Spriter on Windows 11. It's especially troubling if there is no error message. I'll speak to Edgar (Spriter's programmer) and see if he has any ideas.

I literally tried every thing I could find from existing issues and nothing worked. I finally came across another piece of software having the same issue and tried their solution and it worked. 

I copied (don't move!) from C:\Windows\SysWOW64:

mscvp100.dll
msvcr100.dll
msvcr100_clr0400.dll
xinput1_3.dll 

and from C:\Windows\System32

mfc100.dll
mfc100u.dll

^^ Again copy those don't move them or you will break other things!

to the base Spriter directory (C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Spriter\) and it now works. I don't know if all 6 of those are needed (maybe Edgar can offer insight as to what DLLs are used by Spriter?) as I was copying a solution for different software that uses similar DLLs, but its less than a MB each and I am not going to tempt fate with a trail and error lol. The website suggested downloading them from here:

https://mega.nz/file/KN53zKBK#CVEEkEOTIFOO1-IoNnZCua5eq6Xzbb9i0cTWZA0WU3Q

I did download that and it's a legit pack of DLLs both x86 and x64 version and they scanned clean, but I already had those so I chose to copy them from my Windows directory instead, just want to post as complete a solution as possible for anyone else that stumbles across this!