I cannot open Spriter

Gear Zack Kennedy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been digging at this for days now, I've been through multiple threads on this forum and reddit. 

I cant get the software to load, It was working previously and there's been no changes to the pc since that i'm aware of. I have windows 10 64, I have Adobe Cloud installed and I have removed ALL of the visual studio installs and reinstalled each one based on the type of error that's coming up from VCOMP120.DLL missing to the current 0xc000007b, nothing seems to be working.

I am a game development student and have unity and visual studio 2019 installed, I need spriter to work to complete my assessments on 2D animation, any help would be appreciated.

12 hours ago, TwistdRabbit said:

I've been digging at this for days now, I've been through multiple threads on this forum and reddit. 

I cant get the software to load, It was working previously and there's been no changes to the pc since that i'm aware of. I have windows 10 64, I have Adobe Cloud installed and I have removed ALL of the visual studio installs and reinstalled each one based on the type of error that's coming up from VCOMP120.DLL missing to the current 0xc000007b, nothing seems to be working.

I am a game development student and have unity and visual studio 2019 installed, I need spriter to work to complete my assessments on 2D animation, any help would be appreciated.

I brought this post to Edgar's attention to see if he has any idea or if he knows what 0xc000007b is and how to fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience. This is a new error message for me. I don't think anyone has ever reported this before as far as I can recall.

@TwistdRabbit If you haven't already, please try running as administrator.  

There are a few quick things you can try as well, immediately.  The following 3 files will make changes to the registry.  One of the most common causes for startup issues is the openGL settings.  Spriter should automatically disable if there are issues, but it wouldn't hurt to check.  In some rare instances, there are issues with it not being on.  The third one will reset all settings.   To try this, try running Spriter after using each one (don't run them all in a row, and then try to run Spriter at the end).

turn off openGL support
turn on openGL support
reset all settings (including recent files, pro registration, etc)

If none of those work, please try going to Spriter's install directory, and see if there is a file called startuplog.txt, and if so, paste the contents here.

If you're a pro user, we can also provide you with a key for the Steam or non-Steam version (whichever you don't already have), which has a small chance of fixing the issue, without you having to wait to troubleshoot further.

Tried running as admin, same error

None of the registry files made a difference.

startuplog.txt

BrashMonkey Spriter - Version r7

Setting up main window...
Successful.

Initializing model...
Successful.

Setting up widgets...
Successful.

Setting up graphics viewport with openGL...
Successful.

Checking for stable or beta updates...
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::stateChanged(QNetworkSession::State) to QNetworkReplyHttpImpl::_q_networkSessionStateChanged(QNetworkSession::State)
Successful.

Spriter launched succesfully.

I'm currently using the free version, I had intended on upgrading but not being able to open it has slightly hindered those plans lol

I checked my install and it came back as r11, it was downloaded from the official site.

I've pulled the trigger on Spriter Pro on Steam thinking steam would do the heavy lifting for my pc and install what needs to be installed and where it needs to be, wont even launch... i hit the launch button, it tells me its loading it up then just doesnt.

I have all the c++ installs where they are supposed to be and all the dll files are present, the openGL registry and reset changes have made no difference either. 

3 hours ago, TwistdRabbit said:

I checked my install and it came back as r11, it was downloaded from the official site.

I've pulled the trigger on Spriter Pro on Steam thinking steam would do the heavy lifting for my pc and install what needs to be installed and where it needs to be, wont even launch... i hit the launch button, it tells me its loading it up then just doesnt.

I have all the c++ installs where they are supposed to be and all the dll files are present, the openGL registry and reset changes have made no difference either. 

The only time I recall another customer having so much trouble getting Spriter to start, it turned out they were using an overzealous antivirus suite which was actually quietly preventing the required DLL to actually install when they were installing Visual Studio. I had them pause their anti-virus, install the 32 and 64 bit versions of VS and then Spriter started fine. Unfortunately I have no idea if this would help you in this case. Hopefully Edgar will have other ideas.

I'm only using the windows 10 firewall and virus protection. There's literally nothing on my pc that could have caused the issue, one day its working the next its gone to hell.

I ended up just reformatting my pc with a new version of windows 10, Steam installed Spriter Pro with 2017 versions of the VS c++ redist, even with a new build the app wouldnt launch, I had to uninstall them and install the 2013 versions to get the software to finally work, now on to putting eveything else back onto the pc. 

I don't know how difficult it is to create software, I'm a game development student so some day I might find out but this single program has given me more trouble than every other piece of software I've ever encountered, and I got cyberpunk 2077 at launch lol

The program is great when its actually working, but something needs to be done with this 2013 issue.

1 minute ago, TwistdRabbit said:

I'm only using the windows 10 firewall and virus protection. There's literally nothing on my pc that could have caused the issue, one day its working the next its gone to hell.

I ended up just reformatting my pc with a new version of windows 10, Steam installed Spriter Pro with 2017 versions of the VS c++ redist, even with a new build the app wouldnt launch, I had to uninstall them and install the 2013 versions to get the software to finally work, now on to putting eveything else back onto the pc. 

I don't know how difficult it is to create software, I'm a game development student so some day I might find out but this single program has given me more trouble than every other piece of software I've ever encountered, and I got cyberpunk 2077 at launch lol

The program is great when its actually working, but something needs to be done with this 2013 issue.

I'm glad you got it working. I thought we had mentioned in our posts that you must uninstall newer versions of VS for the install of 2014 to work. Is there a post somewhere where we neglected to mention this important point? If so I'll make sure to update it to include that info.

You had mentioned that, I did it multiple times after multiple reinstalls of the software, I copied and pasted the msvc files from the system32 folder into the install folder, I used the registry files to enable and disable the openGL and reset the program settings and nothing worked.

I even bought a copy of pro from steam thinking that they would be able to install the necessary software to get it working, turns out they couldn't do it either as they thought the 2017 versions of VS would work which meant me having to remove them to get the 2013 installed.

That's why I ultimately had to do a complete factory reset on my machine, I'm now concerned that as soon as I install Visual Studio and Unity back onto the machine its all going to mess up again.

15 minutes ago, TwistdRabbit said:

You had mentioned that, I did it multiple times after multiple reinstalls of the software, I copied and pasted the msvc files from the system32 folder into the install folder, I used the registry files to enable and disable the openGL and reset the program settings and nothing worked.

I even bought a copy of pro from steam thinking that they would be able to install the necessary software to get it working, turns out they couldn't do it either as they thought the 2017 versions of VS would work which meant me having to remove them to get the 2013 installed.

That's why I ultimately had to do a complete factory reset on my machine, I'm now concerned that as soon as I install Visual Studio and Unity back onto the machine its all going to mess up again.

No one else ever reported the program beginning to fail after installing either so fingers crossed that won't happen. if you've not used the Steam version for more than 2 hours you can refund it if you'd rather use the one from our store, just make sure to download and try the free one again to make sure it runs fine on your system now.

• 10 months later...

HI, first of all excuse me... My English is not good. However, I had a same kind of problem with SpriterPro on Steam (msvcp120.dll is missing).

I communicate my solution for 64bits PC :

1- Download all version (X86 and X64) of Visual C ++ on the official Microsoft link (2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015-2022) :

https://docs.microsoft.com/fr-fr/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

2- Uninstall SpriterPro on Steam

3- Uninstall all versions of Visual C ++ on your PC (for example with CCleaner)

4- Reboot your PC

5- Disable your internet connexion

6- Disable your Antivirus and your Firewall (WARNING, Internet connexion should be disconnect before this step)

7- Instal all versions of Visual C++ (see step One), in this order (2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013) at first X86 and in second time X64 for each versions. Warning don't instal the latest version (2015-2022).

8- Activate your Antivirus and your Firewall

9- Activate your internet connexion

10- Instal SpriterPro on Steam and launch it (For me, SpriterPRO is now operational). Close SpriterPro

11- Instal the latest version (2015-2022) of Visual C ++ at first X86 and in second time X64 on your PC.

12- Test open SpriterPro (For me, SpriterPro is always functional)

• 2 years later...

Hi!

I confronted the same problem, msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll were missing. First I installed C++ redistributable version 2013, but it didn't help.

I have another computer, where the Spriter works just fine. There I have several versions of C++ redistributable versions, so my conclusion was that some other package is also needed.

Without further investigating, what is the exact needed package, I ended up to download the package, which includes all C++ redistributables:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

Yes, this is not Microsoft official page, but I decided to trust this site. After running this package (super easy install, just one .bat file to run as administrator), Spriter started to work. :)