Spriter 2 Alpha build 0.0.0.18 features and the current state of the roadmap

lucid

Hello again everyone! The latest build went up Wednesday afternoon. You can find additional info in the video and changelog below. We've decided to delay bones one more build to get them working better with the other new features introduced in this build. Bones should be working nicely with the new deformation features when the next build is ready in roughly two weeks.

We're pretty excited about what's up ahead and the state of the roadmap to 1.0. Once the bone build is released, one or two builds later we will reintroduce strokes, now using and interacting with all the new systems and features. The flexibility of all these features working together should allow for some really cool possibilities. After the stroke build, there are just three main 'phases' left until a feature complete beta and 1.0. Well, really more like two and a half.

The first phase will consist of a bunch of small essential features that will flesh out the program and make it feel complete. These will be all the basic functions like multi-selection, animation management, copy/paste, delete, image/video export, etc. Also, during this phase we will be polishing the user experience, streamlining the workflow, and of course eliminating all the bugs we can find. Each build during this phase should feel like a substantial step toward 1.0.

The second phase will be implementing the last major 1.0 feature, which will be image swapping. We want image-swapping to feel easy and natural to work with as part of the larger set of deforming features, so it's not as straightforward to implement as it might seem at first. The systems that power the image-swapping will also be a big part of what powers a lot of the post 1.0 features, so this will most likely take more than one build to fully flesh out. When image swapping is ready we will be in feature complete beta. This means the program should have all the functionality of 1.0, though it may still contain bugs or minor usability issues.

Finally, the last half-phase will be any refactoring maintenance under the hood that still needs to be done. I will also take this opportunity to separate the editor portion and the runtime portion of the save format if that hasn't already been done yet. And of course, again we will squash any major known bugs before we call it 1.0. Upon 1.0 release, we will release the Mac and Linux versions as well. Thanks again everyone for your patience during this long journey. We're nearing the home stretch.

New 0.0.0.18 features:

Bone features delayed until 0.0.0.19:

Change Log

Additions

• Added a new pop-up menu item when right-clicking a mesh to choose a deformer for that mesh (pin deformation has been moved here)
  • Added quad patch deformation
  • Added bezier patch deformation
  • Added the ability to add additional child meshes to any deformer (see help for additional information)

Changes and Enhancements

• Pin deformation no longer automatically applied to a mesh. It can now be accessed by right clicking a mesh, and accessing the deformer menu
  • Help now supports multiple pages of information

Known Issues

• Undo and Redo don't always function correctly with the new features
  • Visual bug when dragging out new images. Sometimes image disappears momentarily
  • Visual bug when first applying a deformer to a new child.  Image sometimes shifts momentarily
  • Double entries for images in z-order
  • Changes to z-order in rigging mode not reflected in animation
  • Occasional visual glitches while editing animations
  • Save and Load not working reliably in all situations
  • Images saved from certain image editors will acquire artifacts when they have antialiased edges where the alpha isn't fully opaque or transparent. These issues aren't exclusive to Spriter 2 and will affect any game engine that doesn't preprocess them. These pre-processing functions will be introduced in a future version, and can be ignored for now.
  • Dragging out more than one of the same images doesn't function correctly.
  • Changelog appears every time you open the software, instead of just the first time you open the new version

2 hours ago, Jonybir said:

Do you have a tutorial series like the example but for spriter? Can you please make a similar udemy course? Alternatively any course like that available? I will buy it right away.

https://www.udemy.com/course/spine-pro-a-complete-2d-character-animation-guide/

You mean for Spriter or Spriter 2? It's too soon to start making tutorials for Sprite 2, but I'll start making them as soon as possible.

I'll also consider making a udemy course. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, thegodo said:

Hi, guys.

I'm a Spriter Pro license owner, but I can't find links for private alpha downloading.

This is a dead end road.

Hi thegodo,
sorry for the inconvenience.
'a dead end'road' is a colorful expression, but unfortunately not very clear in this context. Does it mean the link to the page itself is blocked or broken for you, or that the download link on the page is broken for you or something else?

Did you but Spriter Pro of the Spriter 2 pre-order from us directly, or did you get it by some other means like the scirra store, the Click store, Steam, etc?
If you purchased it here, and are logged into the forums with the account that purchased it, then the link should work for you.

Hopefully we can figure it out and resolve it for you ASAP.

Hi, Mike. 

Thanks for your answer. I should take care using some expressions for my non-native english, you are right :-D I mean, that was the only way I found about private alpha testing. When I click on link it says: 

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2F176/1

I purchased Spriter Pro as a "Spriter Pro Early Adopter License". It was on June, 11st, 2014. I think it was on BrashMonkey website, but I cannot remember. If you need more references I could send you the activation mail or whatever you require for this. Indeed, using my credentials on this web, I cannot see anything or "purchases". Is there something wrong?

On 8/10/2020 at 6:10 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Hi thegodo,
sorry for the inconvenience.
'a dead end'road' is a colorful expression, but unfortunately not very clear in this context. Does it mean the link to the page itself is blocked or broken for you, or that the download link on the page is broken for you or something else?

Did you but Spriter Pro of the Spriter 2 pre-order from us directly, or did you get it by some other means like the scirra store, the Click store, Steam, etc?
If you purchased it here, and are logged into the forums with the account that purchased it, then the link should work for you.

Hopefully we can figure it out and resolve it for you ASAP.

I have the steam version, is there a way to get into the Alpha?

15 minutes ago, robinvanderkuijl said:

I have the steam version, is there a way to get into the Alpha?

Yes, make sure you are logged into your steam account which owns Spriter in a browser (not the Steam client program), and then go here: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=https://steamcommunity.com/app/332360/discussions/1/2274827383917696444/

4 hours ago, thegodo said:

Hi, Mike. 

Thanks for your answer. I should take care using some expressions for my non-native english, you are right :-D I mean, that was the only way I found about private alpha testing. When I click on link it says: 

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2F176/1

I purchased Spriter Pro as a "Spriter Pro Early Adopter License". It was on June, 11st, 2014. I think it was on BrashMonkey website, but I cannot remember. If you need more references I could send you the activation mail or whatever you require for this. Indeed, using my credentials on this web, I cannot see anything or "purchases". Is there something wrong?

This means you either did not get it from our store, in which case you need to find out/remember where you got it from, because that will change how you access the alpha of Spriter 2, or, you did get it from our store, BUT you missed the messages and emails a long time ago when we migrated to this new forum and store system.  Do you remember which email of yours is associated with the actual purchase? (maybe  the email address you has assigned to your paypal account at the time)

On 8/11/2020 at 11:50 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

This means you either did not get it from our store, in which case you need to find out/remember where you got it from, because that will change how you access the alpha of Spriter 2, or, you did get it from our store, BUT you missed the messages and emails a long time ago when we migrated to this new forum and store system.  Do you remember which email of yours is associated with the actual purchase? (maybe  the email address you has assigned to your paypal account at the time)

I've got the same error.

I got Spriter from a Humble Bundle, is there still anyway to get the Alhpa release?

With kind regards,

Robin

(update) scratch that, it works!

On 8/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, robinvanderkuijl said:

I've got the same error.

I got Spriter from a Humble Bundle, is there still anyway to get the Alhpa release?

With kind regards,

Robin

(update) scratch that, it works!

You can go to the properties tab and opt in beta and u can try spriter alpha.

4fd7e2f3a1d9c6649b3b6753bc51932d.png
https://gyazo.com/4fd7e2f3a1d9c6649b3b6753bc51932d