Sound problems

Trumgottist

Hi!

I'm finding some issues with the sound in Spriter (Spriter Pro on Win 10) when I'm trying to use large sound files. I've started creating music videos to put on my YouTube channel, so I thought it'd be fun to explore adding animations, and maybe even animate an entire video. I realise that the system is created mainly for shorter cues, so what I'm attempting may never even have been tested.

The first problem I have is that if I click on a sound in the palette, it can't be stopped. It's not an issue for a footstep sound, but when it's a four minute song... (I tried clicking it again, but that just restarts the sound.)

But worse is that the program hangs if I try to add the four minute song to the timeline. (It stops responding completely, and has to be killed. Or maybe it's doing something that's taking a really long time: cpu usage is high and memory usage keeps rising, but I've waited several minutes with no result.) I tried cutting the sound down to a few seconds, and can confirm that to be working. After searching this forum, I read that the timeline needs to be long enough to fit the sound, so I've tried that too, but it makes no difference.

Update: While typing this post, Spriter actually started working again, after taking about seven minutes to load the four minute song into the timeline. So the problem wasn't that it isn't working - it's that it's taking an extremely long time to load the sound into the timeline. Once it's in there, it's working as expected. (Almost. I didn't expect to have to turn on scrubbing of the sound to hear it if I'm starting playback at any point past the key frame. But I can live with that.)

As an aside, I haven't really been using Spriter before today even though I was one of the backers on the original Kickstarter campaign. I'm surprised by how easy it's been to get started animating with it! I remember that I found everything very confusing when I tried it briefly years ago. (Then other things happened, and the game I was going to use Spriter for never got anywhere, so I never made a serious attempt to make anything with it.) I wonder what the difference is, and I think it's the documentation. Last time, I tried to learn from your videos (I don't know if the docs even existed back then?), but this time I had the manual open in a browser window (the built in help window is horrible) and everything just fell into place. It really is a great program you have made. Some things seem to be missing in the manual, though. I can't find anything about the IK functionality there. (I've figured it out anyway, but I thought you should know. I can't be the only one who learn much better from reading the manual than watching videos.)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply. We're glad you're finally getting use of Spriter and are now finding it easy to understand and learn. Unfortunately it really was not designed for creating entire scenes or long animations, so I'm not surprised its not doing great with long sound samples.. My best guess was the huge delay when you dragged in a 4 minute song was an optimized routine trying to analyze the entire song and draw out the sound waves in the timeline.

It's taking way longer than we had hoped, but once Spriter 2 (which you and all Spriter Pro owners will get for free) is usable it will be much more capable  in general but also for animating entire long animations or sequences and scenes.