Spriter 2: Alchemist Kickstarter is live!

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi everyone. We've launched a Kickstarter campaign to help speed up finishing Spriter 2 and to take 2d animation far beyond Spriter 2 1.0
Please take a look to learn more. Special discounted tiers for everyone who already owns Sprier Pro and the pre-order of Spriter 2 and bonuses for those who packed the original Spriter Pro Kickstarter back in 2012.

This is the first in a series of videos where we will explain some of the core principles of Alchemist. In this video, we give a quick example of how to add simple logic and interactivity to objects and characters for your games or cartoons.

Nice to see a big list of features. It sounds like a very ambitious project, and probably something needed to differential Spriter from the competition in the current market. I must confess however, it is all quite confusing as to what the end result will be.

The ideas behind the control widgets and procedurally generated characters in particular are hard to envisage how this would be implemented in a game development package. It almost seems like you want Spriter to be the game engine. Are the widgets going to be exportable components to be imported into the end user game engine, or are they used within spriter simply to render out generated images to, for example, sprite sheets, or animation states? This is just an example of what is unclear from the Kickstarter page to me, which makes it hard to decide whether to invest or not, and even whether this is all Alchemist functionality, or a mix of Spriter 2 and Alchemist. My assumption is that everything shown is Alchemist specific and won’t be available in Spriter 2 base.

It would be good to see some more in-depth examples of specific functionality. Not sure if development is far enough along to do this though.

Russell.

2 hours ago, 8DashP said:

Nice to see a big list of features. It sounds like a very ambitious project, and probably something needed to differential Spriter from the competition in the current market. I must confess however, it is all quite confusing as to what the end result will be.

The ideas behind the control widgets and procedurally generated characters in particular are hard to envisage how this would be implemented in a game development package. It almost seems like you want Spriter to be the game engine. Are the widgets going to be exportable components to be imported into the end user game engine, or are they used within spriter simply to render out generated images to, for example, sprite sheets, or animation states? This is just an example of what is unclear from the Kickstarter page to me, which makes it hard to decide whether to invest or not, and even whether this is all Alchemist functionality, or a mix of Spriter 2 and Alchemist. My assumption is that everything shown is Alchemist specific and won’t be available in Spriter 2 base.

It would be good to see some more in-depth examples of specific functionality. Not sure if development is far enough along to do this though.

Russell.

Thanks for the great feedback 8DashP

We plan on frequent posts and updates to explain many features in more detail and we're working in a feature list for both Spriter 2 and for Alchemist.
Spriter 2 will be a fantastic advancement over Spriter Pro as a 2d game animation creation program with advanced mesh deforming features, while Alchemist will be an optional expansion suite of added features and functionality allowing for all the cool procedural stuff and authoring interactive content like motion comics and simple games right within Alchemist.
The widgets are for within Spriter2:Alchemist for ease of creating key frames and animations for the rigged characters, objects, or effects you create.

More detail to come later. Please continue to ask for any additional clarification and we'll do our best to explain things better and in more detail.

Thanks Mike.

It’s been a long road since I first purchased in 2013. You may or may not remember I built a plugin for Shiva3D way back when, but then they screwed over their developers and basically died, and it left such a bad taste, that I quit the game development industry. Life has moved on, and I’m now starting again in Unity and maybe Godot. I can see an opportunity to develop a Godot plugin, but I’d definitely need to get a better handle on what features and functionality are coming, to decide whether to commit, so any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you get the support you need and can push forward to plan.

Russell.

Anyone remember Jade Cocoon for PS1?
It is the only monster breeder that would calculate values such as arm length, jaw length, eye size and other traits when mixing two monster together. As opposed to reskinning which you would see in the monster rancher franchise... and every other monster breeder.

at 2:37 in the kick starter video, you see code just like this at work!
Sure, it can be used for human x human. Also,  beast x human. Beast x beast. Object x human.
Creative freedom... Could spends weeks just sitting there playing around with that tool to see what you can create.

I just wanted to give some positive feedback and let you know that is a really cool feature!

https://www.kickstarter.com/p…/539087245/spriter-2-alchemist
This is the first in a series of videos where we will explain some of the core principles of Alchemist. In this video, we give a quick example of how to add simple logic and interactivity to objects and characters for your games or cartoons.

Yes, well... I would love to support Spriter's evolution, but I use Godot and Spriter 1 never received any support for it. My copy of Spriter lies dusting away somewhere on my drives. Never could use it, unfortunately.

And now I discover that yet again Godot is not going to be supported. What a disappointment. I don't understand how Godot, being a very popular engine now, is not supported. In particular seeing it is arguably one of the best (if not the most flexible) true native 2d game engines on the market today.

Unfortunately, it seems you have decided that you are not interested in the support of the ever increasing Godot community. And you'd have much less competition compared to Unity or Unreal (Spine).

I supported Spriter 1 back when it was first introduced. Not making the same mistake again.

Sorry to sound sour. I just think it is a missed opportunity. Godot would be a great match with this new version.