Spriter 2 FAQ

lucid

10 hours ago, Jonybir said:

Can you release spriter 2 already? Or you have lost interest in this software? Btw was wondering what happens when you at some point stop developing this software? Since its closed source no one else can access it.

All Spriter Pro owners have access to the Spriter 2 alpha builds which are now updated on a roughly 2 week schedule. We're really sorry for all the long delays to this point and are developing it as fast as we can while simultaneously making sure we don't rush any aspect of it's data format or code base in a way that would cripple it's development in the future.  There should be an update any moment now with information on what's currently being worked on and a new build shortly after that. We're doing our best to provide frequent update  builds and progress reports as we work towards getting all the core features fully functionally and tied in with each other and the required UI as soon as we can.

We have big plans for features and expansions well beyond the release of version 1.0, which is a big part of why it took us so long to get to this point (making sure the core code and data format are future-proof and will easily support the more advanced features we plan down the line.)

On 6/29/2020 at 11:59 AM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

All Spriter Pro owners have access to the Spriter 2 alpha builds which are now updated on a roughly 2 week schedule. We're really sorry for all the long delays to this point and are developing it as fast as we can while simultaneously making sure we don't rush any aspect of it's data format or code base in a way that would cripple it's development in the future.  There should be an update any moment now with information on what's currently being worked on and a new build shortly after that. We're doing our best to provide frequent update  builds and progress reports as we work towards getting all the core features fully functionally and tied in with each other and the required UI as soon as we can.

We have big plans for features and expansions well beyond the release of version 1.0, which is a big part of why it took us so long to get to this point (making sure the core code and data format are future-proof and will easily support the more advanced features we plan down the line.)

Will we be getting it this year or nope?How many more years we need to wait? Can you not get someone from community to help you guys? Example someone else to make detailed tutorials on how to use it or help you on code? There are also lot of affordable people to hire from fiver and etc websites.

2 hours ago, Jonybir said:

Will we be getting it this year or nope?How many more years we need to wait? Can you not get someone from community to help you guys? Example someone else to make detailed tutorials on how to use it or help you on code? There are also lot of affordable people to hire from fiver and etc websites.

Please keep an eye out for the update notes and new builds every 2 weeks. The next few builds should get the three core features (bones, 'pins', and 'strokes') in and working together, and things should pick up momentum from then on. Our goal is to get all the core features in and working nicely as quickly as possible. Estimates are dangerous and nearly always wrong. The best way to assess progress is to keep an eye on the update build releases.

Also, you mentioned that you will be releasing official unity support on release of spriter 2? Do you still plan to do that? After using Godot for long, I realized unity is the to go engine for making any commercial games or freelance work due to the vast amount of resources available and help you get when getting stuck.Also, industry standard right now is UNITY/UNREAL engine unless you are just a hobbyist. I hope there will be unity plugin on release. I mean what is the use of making animation in Spriter  if you can't export the skeletons and JSON data to that engine you are using. Also please check the performance issues of the plugin for engine support. Currently with Spriter pro all animations are not working smoothly.

I was wondering why you guys not so well known and why not many people use spriter for their animation but prefers Spine:2D animation for games even though its costlier. I think spine has  better support for game engines export or something? Maybe you need more team members for speed things up? You know my mentor said that don't try to do everything by yourself. Outsource or etc. In the end it is going to save lot more time or bring more profit than what you are doing right now.

If it keeps like this we gonna loose customer. People going to buy spine/creature/moho/etc others even though its more costly. They  have bigger team and more support. Yes i love spriter and what spriter 2 is going to bring. But the support factor is the biggest thing for product like this. Why you guys burning your self up?

Anyways good luck to you. I have taken already lot of time to write various comments.You need to figure things out.

Absolutely, Unity will always be among the fastest updated and supported directly by us for Spriter 2.

Yes, Spine has first party support for many engines and has mesh deforming features, these are two major issues Soriter 2 will address.

Thanks very much  for the support and thoughtful post.

Btw will I be able to open spriter 1 files with spriter 2 right? I mean we got so many spriter projects saved on spriter 1.

Also can you write detailed guide how to enable or disable weapons or trigger effects on spriter 2 animated files in unity?

Example : Say i have a player who can switch weapons. I want idle animation with weapon and w/o weapon. Play sound effects when i fire gun. Play slash sound etc. Or maybe enable weapon if I find certain weapon and now the Idle animation and other animations are all with that gun/weapon holding in the players hand.

Also how many features we going to get as shown here in spriter2/alchemist?

18 hours ago, Jonybir said:

Btw will I be able to open spriter 1 files with spriter 2 right? I mean we got so many spriter projects saved on spriter 1.

Also can you write detailed guide how to enable or disable weapons or trigger effects on spriter 2 animated files in unity?

Example : Say i have a player who can switch weapons. I want idle animation with weapon and w/o weapon. Play sound effects when i fire gun. Play slash sound etc. Or maybe enable weapon if I find certain weapon and now the Idle animation and other animations are all with that gun/weapon holding in the players hand.

Also how many features we going to get as shown here in spriter2/alchemist?

The file formats are completely different between Sprite  and Spriter 2, and so are almost every aspect of the way images are manipulated and displayed. It's not impossible that we will make an importer or converter, but definitely don't count on that happening for sure.

There will be lots of tutorials for using Spriter 2, but it's too soon for that because even the core features are not fully implemented yet, and character maps will come after that.

It's impossible to say how soon and which Alchemist features will appear. We plan for all of them to eventually become available, but since the Kickstarter did not meat its goal it will take longer than it would have.

Please keep an eye out for our update posts and update builds for Spriter 2 roughly every two weeks .

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey folks, I'm a new user whi recently pre-purchased Spriter 2. I sent an email to Brashmonkey with an enquiry last week, but hadn't received a reply yet, so I got to thinking that perhaps direct emails aren't the best way to start a dialogue, as they may be too busy or inundated with other emails. So here's my question again.

Does Spriter Pro support tinting black, or if not will it be a feature in Spriter 2? An example of what I'm talking about can be seen here:

http://en.esotericsoftware.com/blog/Spine-3.6-tint-black-clipping-weight-painting-and-more

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Draice said:

Hey folks, I'm a new user whi recently pre-purchased Spriter 2. I sent an email to Brashmonkey with an enquiry last week, but hadn't received a reply yet, so I got to thinking that perhaps direct emails aren't the best way to start a dialogue, as they may be too busy or inundated with other emails. So here's my question again.

Does Spriter Pro support tinting black, or if not will it be a feature in Spriter 2? An example of what I'm talking about can be seen here:

http://en.esotericsoftware.com/blog/Spine-3.6-tint-black-clipping-weight-painting-and-more

Thanks!

Spriter 2 currently has basic color tinting per image. It's possible other shader and tinting options will be added at later dates but we can't guarantee which ones and when they will appear at this time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 3:06 PM, drenton72 said:

Is Spriter 2 ever coming out???? It's been years now, I haven't heard anything since 2020!

Yes, and we've made several update posts and videos showing the progress, new features, etc. via our social media and here on the forums. The most recent update post was here: 

Edgar is hard at work on the next update build, which I believe features the most additions and bug fixes for any build and also will feature all or at least most of the features which will appear in the 1.0 release once it's thoroughly tested, debugged, and polished.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi! I don't know if this question was asked anywhere. (Couldn't find anything when I searched) Are some of the features from Spriter Pro, going to be in Spriter 2? Like Character Variants and IK? Or is that something later down the line? 

Keep up the good work guys, very excited for Spriter 2!

@JSamDraws IK is already present in the newest Alpha build of Spriter 2. Regarding other features, there will be many equivalent type features such as Character maps, but everything will work fairly differently and use a different file format, so Spriter 2 will not be able to load or manipulate Spriter Pro files. We also can't guarantee all features from Sprite Pro will have an equivalent in Spriter 2, but most will.

@JSamDraws IK is already present in the newest Alpha build of Spriter 2. Regarding other features, there will be many equivalent type features such as Character maps, but everything will work fairly differently and use a different file format, so Spriter 2 will not be able to load or manipulate Spriter Pro files. We also can't guarantee all features from Sprite Pro will have an equivalent in Spriter 2, but most will.

@Rezzin8
No, you can access it from here if you own Spriter Pro or the Spriter 2 pre-order here. If you do, go to the main page here and scroll down and look for Spriter 2 Private Alpha forum and read through the first post in: Spriter 2 Discussion, which is called Spriter 2 Preview. It will explain how to access the Alpha build.