Spriter 2 FAQ

lucid

To be honest, now majority of spine animation software is support unity, but no any other software support godot at the moment. The one and only factor will make me want to back or purchase spriter2 and alchemist is support official plugin with godot. That is a Big Plus for me. Since godot is really good at 2d, but it lack of software to support itself to better and easier develop a solid 2d game compare with other engine. But currently I did not see a ETA to have it, even though I admit those feature quick attractive, still not decisive factor for me.

39 minutes ago, Xushou said:

When will the tested version of spriter 2 be released in steam?

What do you by tested? If you mean feature complete and for testing that's still several months away, but there is already the first alpha build available for Steam owners of Spriter Pro. (However right now it's not in a usable state, so I suggest you wait until future builds in the coming couple of months)
https://steamcommunity.com/games/332360/announcements/detail/1691563671420978645

"In addition, there will be a new beta release in January and regular build updates from that point on."
Is this new beta still on track for a release this month?
Are the regular build updates for Spriter 2 conditional on other circumstantial factors, such as... if the alchemist kickstarter hits it's target or not?

It's said that 50,000 would allow you guys to work full time on the project.
What if you only get 30,000... 20,000... 15,000.
Is the work on this project going to be part time with any amount below 50,000? or... will you use the under 50,000 funding to work fulltime on the project as long as you can?

It's possible the new alpha build will be released by the end of the month, it might be slightly delayed, ironically due to the unexpected extra time required to prepare the Kickstarter campaign.

Everything is effected to some degree by funding, and there are several potential factors that could change how much gets done per update, but the updates themselves will still happen. Spriter 2 will have a much better beta build out for July regardless of the Kickstarter, but even Spriter 2 can arrive at version 1.0 faster if the Kickstarter is fully funded.

The better the funding, the more man-hours can be dedicated per day on Spriter 2 and especially Alchemist, going from more hours we can work in-house to contracting outside help.

There are too many potential and unpredictable factors and other business requirements to be able to say for certain which hours can be spent on what over a long period of time unless large enough funding is raised to guarantee the ability for full-time work.

To clarify, Kickstarter campaigns are 'all or nothing', so if the backings don't reach 50k or more by Feb 4th we won't get funding it did raise and the backers won't be charged. We could of course pursue providing an alternate means for the backers to fund Alchemist and reserve the same reward tiers.

4 hours ago, l34765sgh said:

"In addition, there will be a new beta release in January and regular build updates from that point on."
Is this new beta still on track for a release this month?
Are the regular build updates for Spriter 2 conditional on other circumstantial factors, such as... if the alchemist kickstarter hits it's target or not?

It's said that 50,000 would allow you guys to work full time on the project.
What if you only get 30,000... 20,000... 15,000.
Is the work on this project going to be part time with any amount below 50,000? or... will you use the under 50,000 funding to work fulltime on the project as long as you can?

What is the alpha version? Is the Spriter 2 alpha version? And you mentioned working full time, do you mean you are an independent developer? Or are you developing this software as a team? Seeing the installation directory of Spriter, you should use Qt c ++ and OpenGL to build the program. Obviously, this is more efficient than Windows native win32 directx to build programs. Then, you said that the alpha version will be launched in January, and now it has to be postponed. What is the delay?

I bought your two apps on Steam, and I was particularly interested when I saw SPriter 2, that was really geek.

If your alpha version is not too many errors or bugs, such as serious errors such as program crashes, you may wish to update to Steam for us to try first.

Edited by Xushou

3 hours ago, Xushou said:

What is the alpha version? Is the Spriter 2 alpha version? And you mentioned working full time, do you mean you are an independent developer? Or are you developing this software as a team? Seeing the installation directory of Spriter, you should use Qt c ++ and OpenGL to build the program. Obviously, this is more efficient than Windows native win32 directx to build programs. Then, you said that the alpha version will be launched in January, and now it has to be postponed. What is the delay?

I bought your two apps on Steam, and I was particularly interested when I saw SPriter 2, that was really geek.

If your alpha version is not too many errors or bugs, such as serious errors such as program crashes, you may wish to update to Steam for us to try first.

Yes, I was referring to the alpha version of Spriter2... Alchemist specific features will start to appear (also in alpha state, being not yet fully perfected, but ready for testing and feedback from the community) as the Sprite 2 build gets closer to a feature complete beta.

I'm responding on behalf of BrashMonkey, LLC, but I'm the artist half of the two man team. The other half of the team, Edgar, is the programmer. We each always work full time (or more) for our company, but much of that full time work is often things other than development, like making business decisions, deals, customer service, etc etc. The amount of required other tasks beyond development varies wildly from day to day and week to week, and much of it is unpredictable as opportunities present themselves, markets shift, and other unpredictable demands or requirements occur. The more there is funding the more we can delegate non-programming chores to outside help and can contract other programmers to contribute to Spriter 2 and especially Alchemist's development.

In general the biggest delay in Spriter 2 was making sure it's data format and foundational code was flexible, expandable, and powerful enough to be able to easily 'host' all of the great features we have planned both for Spriter 2 and especially for Alchemist. Basically, the scope of core features and expandability for Spriter 2 grew to make sure we will deliver a truly revolutionary and competitive animation tool, and that demanded a lot of extra and previously unexpected development time. As you likely can imagine, preparing a Kickstarter takes a huge amount of time, as does maintaining the campaign to make sure it succeeds as much as possible,  so this contributed to the minor current delay.. but we were overdue for a 'visibility round' and already at less than a third of the way through, the campaign has proved to be worth it. The greater visibility, stockpile of new promotional material, greater internet presence,  and resulting support, backers, and potential customers will more than make up the lost time over the following months.

Which two apps are you referring to that you purchased on Steam? The only one on Steam that I can think of is Spriter Pro (which of course will get you Spriter 2 as a free upgrade.) Is that what you meant?

cheers.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:43 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

It's possible the new alpha build will be released by the end of the month, it might be slightly delayed, ironically due to the unexpected extra time required to prepare the Kickstarter campaign.

Everything is effected to some degree by funding, and there are several potential factors that could change how much gets done per update, but the updates themselves will still happen. Spriter 2 will have a much better beta build out for July regardless of the Kickstarter, but even Spriter 2 can arrive at version 1.0 faster if the Kickstarter is fully funded.

The better the funding, the more man-hours can be dedicated per day on Spriter 2 and especially Alchemist, going from more hours we can work in-house to contracting outside help.

There are too many potential and unpredictable factors and other business requirements to be able to say for certain which hours can be spent on what over a long period of time unless large enough funding is raised to guarantee the ability for full-time work.

To clarify, Kickstarter campaigns are 'all or nothing', so if the backings don't reach 50k or more by Feb 4th we won't get funding it did raise and the backers won't be charged. We could of course pursue providing an alternate means for the backers to fund Alchemist and reserve the same reward tiers.

Thank you for the clarification on the all or nothing  and the detailed response.

Edit: I've just seen your update and looks like your on top of it but i will still spread the word. Win-Win for everyone. Will wait until your update goes through so their first impression will be the best possible.

On 1/15/2020 at 2:58 AM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Yes, I was referring to the alpha version of Spriter2... Alchemist specific features will start to appear (also in alpha state, being not yet fully perfected, but ready for testing and feedback from the community) as the Sprite 2 build gets closer to a feature complete beta.

I'm responding on behalf of BrashMonkey, LLC, but I'm the artist half of the two man team. The other half of the team, Edgar, is the programmer. We each always work full time (or more) for our company, but much of that full time work is often things other than development, like making business decisions, deals, customer service, etc etc. The amount of required other tasks beyond development varies wildly from day to day and week to week, and much of it is unpredictable as opportunities present themselves, markets shift, and other unpredictable demands or requirements occur. The more there is funding the more we can delegate non-programming chores to outside help and can contract other programmers to contribute to Spriter 2 and especially Alchemist's development.

In general the biggest delay in Spriter 2 was making sure it's data format and foundational code was flexible, expandable, and powerful enough to be able to easily 'host' all of the great features we have planned both for Spriter 2 and especially for Alchemist. Basically, the scope of core features and expandability for Spriter 2 grew to make sure we will deliver a truly revolutionary and competitive animation tool, and that demanded a lot of extra and previously unexpected development time. As you likely can imagine, preparing a Kickstarter takes a huge amount of time, as does maintaining the campaign to make sure it succeeds as much as possible,  so this contributed to the minor current delay.. but we were overdue for a 'visibility round' and already at less than a third of the way through, the campaign has proved to be worth it. The greater visibility, stockpile of new promotional material, greater internet presence,  and resulting support, backers, and potential customers will more than make up the lost time over the following months.

Which two apps are you referring to that you purchased on Steam? The only one on Steam that I can think of is Spriter Pro (which of course will get you Spriter 2 as a free upgrade.) Is that what you meant?

cheers.

You guys are really amazing and amazing! Very geeky, I support you!

On 12/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, Jonybir said:

Please release the Godot support as soon as possible.It is the best 2D engine ATM for 2D games. There are more users of Godot for 2D games than unity at this time.

Agreed. Absolutely incomprehensible that Godot isn't supported from the get-go. Such a shame and a whopping waste of an opportunity.

18 minutes ago, Xushou said:

If you did not complete the kickstarter crowdfunding, you can consider submitting the Spriter 2: Alchemist plugin to Steam for pre-purchase to raise funds. Perhaps this method is more effective. Many games on Steam, such as Cyberpunk 2077, are Pre-order way to launch.

Is there a way to do a pre-order discount?

• 2 weeks later...

In Skeleton animation software. As far as I notice, there are few in the market out there, include spriter pro. This is great choice to have a new, robust skeleton animation software to have it right now. However, it has to be really eye-catching to make customer move away from their comfort zone(the software their are familiar with).

Spriter2 and Alchemist seem really powerful, and it is really great to have official support in multiple engine. But almost all of the engine that planned to support which already had  a lot of choice to choose with. If I am indie dev, choose to cooperate with another people for art asset, I will consider whether the software support the specific engine I am working on and is that product stable enough to avoid to break the project and waste times. If I am artist, choose to cooperate with another people to make a game, I will more likely to choose the product I am familiar with.

Maybe I am wrong, but If spriter2 will support some engine that still lack of solid foundation that need 2d skeleton animation software to support with. Those devs will have no other choice but choose spriter2 as their animation tool. And Godot, which just recently upgrade to 3.2 version and it will be long term support version, seem really the best choice out there. I know there is difficult to handle the project and finish official support as the same time. But hope this suggestion will help.

4 hours ago, Johndose said:

In Skeleton animation software. As far as I notice, there are few in the market out there, include spriter pro. This is great choice to have a new, robust skeleton animation software to have it right now. However, it has to be really eye-catching to make customer move away from their comfort zone(the software their are familiar with).

Spriter2 and Alchemist seem really powerful, and it is really great to have official support in multiple engine. But almost all of the engine that planned to support which already had  a lot of choice to choose with. If I am indie dev, choose to cooperate with another people for art asset, I will consider whether the software support the specific engine I am working on and is that product stable enough to avoid to break the project and waste times. If I am artist, choose to cooperate with another people to make a game, I will more likely to choose the product I am familiar with.

Maybe I am wrong, but If spriter2 will support some engine that still lack of solid foundation that need 2d skeleton animation software to support with. Those devs will have no other choice but choose spriter2 as their animation tool. And Godot, which just recently upgrade to 3.2 version and it will be long term support version, seem really the best choice out there. I know there is difficult to handle the project and finish official support as the same time. But hope this suggestion will help.

We're definitely going to pursue Godot support once Spriter 2 is closer to a feature complete beta and the foundational runtimes like C# and JavaScript are ready to port from and use as guides. We can't give time estimates or promise anything until we've had time to explore the possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the wait time for Spriter 2 has been really long. Any estimated release date? For now I am just using free software called Dragonbones for my needs.Making errors in Spriter Pro is currently very unforgiving and takes long time to fix it. And Johndose is right. Instead of supporting engines which already have the software or feature they need support the ones which are quite popular but don't have the features that spriter 2 going to have. Also making sure spriter 2 with alchemist gonna be game changer to make people use them. It takes time to learn particular software and to master it  takes much longer. Since time is money and irreplaceable people tend to stick with software which they already know. Maybe then your sales would increase and you will have easier time to do the rest. BTW, I am not sure people using unity will even bother to use spriter 2. They have anima2D as well as skeletal tool with the latest update. Maybe a waste of your time of making support of unity or maybe not. Its a gamble with unity. Same with other engines you mentioned.

Also there are not much tutorials on everything you can do with your softwares like Pro motion NG or even spriter. Is it possible for you guys to make constant updates and show tips and tricks how to achieve cool stuff and how? Thanks!

Well all the best to your team and hope you can deliver it. If it was an open source software just like Godot game engine then Patreon would be great platform to support you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 11:06 AM, Jonybir said:

Well the wait time for Spriter 2 has been really long. Any estimated release date? For now I am just using free software called Dragonbones for my needs.Making errors in Spriter Pro is currently very unforgiving and takes long time to fix it. And Johndose is right. Instead of supporting engines which already have the software or feature they need support the ones which are quite popular but don't have the features that spriter 2 going to have. Also making sure spriter 2 with alchemist gonna be game changer to make people use them. It takes time to learn particular software and to master it  takes much longer. Since time is money and irreplaceable people tend to stick with software which they already know. Maybe then your sales would increase and you will have easier time to do the rest. BTW, I am not sure people using unity will even bother to use spriter 2. They have anima2D as well as skeletal tool with the latest update. Maybe a waste of your time of making support of unity or maybe not. Its a gamble with unity. Same with other engines you mentioned.

Also there are not much tutorials on everything you can do with your softwares like Pro motion NG or even spriter. Is it possible for you guys to make constant updates and show tips and tricks how to achieve cool stuff and how? Thanks!

Well all the best to your team and hope you can deliver it. If it was an open source software just like Godot game engine then Patreon would be great platform to support you.

There was suppose to regular updates years ago. On this site he told people he couldn't code for a year because he injured his back (I guess coding is a full contact sport now?) while in a Youtube comment reply it was a different story, that he was busy with other aspects of life or something. I'd dig through all the youtube videos and comments and pull that comment up but really i don't want to waste anymore time on this. Then during the kick starter they said there would be an updated version of Spriter 2 in January. Nothing. They then said this "WON'T be a long chain of delays". They said it's been pushed back to February. Here we are at the end of of February. :-|

Actions speak louder than words. And these actions are blaring through a megaphone, silencing the sweet nothing words, which seem to only appear when they can get more money (Kickstarter campaign, now silence). On top of that they didn't even reply to your reasonable comment. We've been waiting a long time, where's the accountability. Because of these facts i think you should mentally cut your losses and separate yourself from the idea that Spriter 2 will be usable to any industry standard any time soon. Based on the lack of conviction behind their words, reflected in the numerous delays / inaction it might be likelier that they just abandon the project and drag this on as long as possible.

That's one of problems with pre-order products. Take too long & the money runs out, their release profit margins dwindle and the main motivating factor for business ($) isn't present. You're no longer working for the money because you got a very large portion of it already.

@GaboAs you say, words (and apologies) are cheap, though this does not mean they are not sincere. And we're still going to offer quite a few words here, not that we think they can or should alleviate your frustration with us, but simply to clarify things the best we can.

We are also very frustrated with the prolonged delays and are doing everything we can to try to catch up as best as possible, the Kickstarter would have allowed us to contract additional help and in general get more consistent man-power directed towards those ends. It was one option it would have been foolish to not try, because if it succeeded, it would have made a big difference. The two down sides to this were that the campaign failed to get funded and we forgot just how many hours a day is required to set up and maintain a campaign, so for that nearly 2 month span, Edgar's progress on Spriter 2 was further stilted during that time.

For the record, no-one ever said Edgar couldn't work for an entire year because he hurt his back. Existing injuries (caused from an automobile accident) grew worse from working very long hours over a very long time, causing debilitating discomfort since then, which is a large factor in the slowed progress. This never forced him to take a large chunk of time off entirely, it forced him to not be able to work for any substantial amount of time on any given day without frequent interruptions.

We never changed the story, but any one post on Kickstarter, Youtube, Facebook etc. can't possibly tell the entire story. You can have debilitating back pain from a car accident requiting emergency room and doctor visits, and also personal/family matters (as we all do at time) to attend to.

As we explained while launching the Kickstarter, the injuries were only part of the delay for Spriter 2. The other was the required evolution of what Spriter 2 would need to be, to not only be relevant in the face of the many great competitors it now has, but to also be flexible enough to support the ever more powerful features we were envisioning for far into the future of animation, which is what Alchemist was all about. This took a massive amount of R&D on our end, and one of the frustrating causes for us to not be able to explain the delays in more detail is we did not want to explain and announce all these planned features long before we could deliver them. In a competitive niche with several active developers making competing software, it can be disastrous. We spilled a lot of those beans with the Kickstarter, but it was necessary and overdue to give this great community much more clarify of what we've been working on and to explain the other major cause for delay.

Edgar is working on getting an update alpha build done and released as soon as possible, and as soon as we can we'll switch to a much more consistent and transparent update system.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:06 PM, Jonybir said:

Sorry, we don't have an estimated delivery date, but Edgar is working on an alpha build update as we speak and we'll switch to a more concise update schedule as soon as possible as he continues to get all features and their corresponding UI all connected.

Regarding tutorials, are you aware of the two youtube channels with lots of tutorial and quick-tip videos?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfkyf95y-FOpPzcvhgmooJQ/playlists

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Please help me.  I want to reserve a copy of Spriter 2. 

Q1. Am I just wondering shall I get a free copy of Spriter 2 If I purchase Spirter Pro on Steam and that to the ONLY BASE variant of Spriter Pro (Without any DLC)?

Q2. Is there is any difference b/w Steam version and Brashmonkey.com? I mean Does this "https://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/store/product/30-spriter-2-pre-order/" variant contains all the DLC of Spirter Pro Which You buy separately on Steam?

Q3. On Steam I saw that the last DEPOTS UPDATE of Spirter Pro was on 20 December 2018 (522 days ago) Does that mean the Steam variant get updates slower than regular Brashmonkey.com variant?

Q4. If I preorder Spriter 2 at  https://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/store/product/30-spriter-2-pre-order/ Is there any chance that I will get the Steam Key?

On 1/7/2020 at 1:57 PM, Xushou said:

What is Alchemist? How much does alchemist cost?

It will be a suite of extension features available for purchase which will greatly expand Spriter 2 with very advanced features including many procedural functions. For the most part, Alchemist features won't begin to appear until all the core features of Spriter 2 are rock solid and those who pre-ordered it have been using it for actual projects.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:54 AM, 619rmofficial said:

Please help me.  I want to reserve a copy of Spriter 2. 

Q1. Am I just wondering shall I get a free copy of Spriter 2 If I purchase Spirter Pro on Steam and that to the ONLY BASE variant of Spriter Pro (Without any DLC)?

Q2. Is there is any difference b/w Steam version and Brashmonkey.com? I mean Does this "https://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/store/product/30-spriter-2-pre-order/" variant contains all the DLC of Spirter Pro Which You buy separately on Steam?

Q3. On Steam I saw that the last DEPOTS UPDATE of Spirter Pro was on 20 December 2018 (522 days ago) Does that mean the Steam variant get updates slower than regular Brashmonkey.com variant?

Q4. If I preorder Spriter 2 at  https://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/store/product/30-spriter-2-pre-order/ Is there any chance that I will get the Steam Key?

1) Yes, if you buy Spriter Pro on Steam you will receive Spriter 2 automatically on Steam once it's released.

2) The products and programs are the same except the Steam version Spriter Pro requires you be logged into your Steam account in order to use it.

3) There have been no update builds of Spriter Pro since then becasue we have switched development to Spriter 2, which is making good progress but had suffered many delays for various reasons.

4) I'm not sure yet. I'll discuss this with Edgar and our contacts at Valve.