Spriter Extension for Godot ?

malibumanjp

Hi,

I was just wondering if there plans for / or someone interested in making a Godot integration for Spriter?

To those who do not know, Godot is an open source and  totally free Engine written in C++, which support for C# and custom engine script called GDScript. I believe that it is more and more popular amongst indie game devs, and I find it is very interesting in terms of design philosophy and capabilities. I discovered it a little while ago, and I was saddened to see that there was no Spriter plugin to load animations into the engine. Indeed, I feel that Spriter is a much better tool to streamline cut-out animations than the built-in Godot 2D cut-out animation system.

I am currently struggling to create a custom and very limited integration of Spriter's scon files into Godot using GDScript, but it would not be as efficient or fully-featured as the other plugins out there. Since I'm not a real developer myself, I certainly lack the technical knowledge to do a full implementation based of the open-ended C++ (SpriterPlusPlus) and C# (SpriterDotNet) plugins made by Lucid and Loodakrawa.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in adapting these plugins to Godot or at least if Godot integration could be added to the Spriter 2 roadmap?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/28/2019 at 10:52 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

The best bet is to find someone willing to port either of the two C based open-source Spriter API's to be compatible with Godot.

They can be found here: https://brashmonkey.com/spriter-runtime-apis/

Hi

I'm willing to consider creating a port to Godot, however will I be wasting my time because Spriter 2 will be out soon?

8 minutes ago, Dror Rejwan said:

Hi

I'm willing to consider creating a port to Godot, however will I be wasting my time because Spriter 2 will be out soon?

I remember quite a few Godot users have asked about support over the years.

Once Spriter 2 is fully functional and it's initial runtimes are released, this won't make Spriter Pro completely obsolete, especially for those who have already been working on Spriter pro made animations, and people working on pixel art games, or who want to use other features or the art packs which currently only work with Spriter Pro.

If you do want to make a plug-in, be sure to reference one of the existing open source plug-ins from here: https://brashmonkey.com/spriter-runtime-apis/

And feel free to contact us directly at mail@brashmonkey.com if there are any questions blocking you regarding the data format etc.