Spriter Crash after deleting an animation and impossible to reopen project afterward

malibumanjp

Hi,

I encountered a really troublesome issue: i deleted an animation using the correaponding button in the uaer interface, which caused spriter to crash. now, when i try to reopen scml file with spriter it loads up until 70% or so and then crashes: impossible to reopen it... I get the same behavior with the original scml and the autosaved version (which was the most recently saved one).

It seems that the crash corrupted the data specifically for this project as i have no issue opening other projects.

This is a project for which the entity has over 100 animations and i would be really bumped if it was lost forever... Any idea as to what I can do? I'm thinking maybe  editing directly the scml file in notepad++ but is seems really risky.

Thanks

Can you please zip up the entire project (spriter file in a folder with all the images it uses) and send it to mail@brashmonkey.com so we can take a look?
Also, have you been saving using some kind of version control? Though corruption issues like this are extremely rare, for any large project made with any tool or tools, it's critical to be able to revert to slightly older versions of the project if something goes wrong.

thanks.

Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply.

I managed to fix the issue by editing the scml file in notepad++ (I removed the entire block related to the animation that caused the crash to occur when deleting). I lost a few hours of work but that's way better than losing the entire file.

As you suggested, I now manage versions and backup data through Git, which I should have done from the start (silly me).

Thanks again for the help !

I'm glad you were able to recover most of your work, and that you'll be using something with version control from now on. :)

Do you happen to have the older version that still has the corrupted animation? we might be able to figure out how to fix that animation. It might also help us figure out how it got corrupted in the first place.

thanks.