Spriter Essentials Edition GIF Export Issue

Nicole H

I have made several animations on the free Spriter Essentials Edition program on Mac without using bones and exported them as gifs without a problem; but recently I made a character using bones, animated it, and tried to export it. this time, instead of working, it took a particularly long time to load to 100 percent; and when it finally did, it just stopped doing anything and I had to force quit the application. I made two animations with the puppet and tried to export both multiple times, sometimes it would show up in Finder after force quitting, but the playback would be choppy as heck. what should I do?

UPDATE: I made a new puppet without bones, animated it, and had the same issue. I read that if there are items in the folder used, that are not jpgs, pngs, etc. that could be it, but there are only pngs and of course scmls. not sure what to do

UPDATE 2: I got the new puppet I mentioned in the first update to export without force-quitting; but like the others I'm having trouble with, it is 70-120 MB (the ones from before I had any problems were averaging at 5 MB each) and will not play back properly

• Nicole H changed the title to Spriter Essentials Edition GIF Export Issue

without us seeing the Spriter project there's not much we can do. It likely has nothing to do with bones and more to do with the resulting number of frames or the resulting size of  a frame. GIF animation format was never intended for large or really smooth animations.

We'll need to see the animation you're trying to export and the settings you're trying to use.

Most people with crash issues while trying to export GIF animations have accidentally put an image really far away from the center point of the frame at some key-frame that the resulting frame-size would be many thousands of pixels high and wide, which causes the GIF creation routine to run out of memory.

The second most common cause is just using overly high resolution images or trying to export at a high FPS which would also result in an out of  memory crash.

If you'd like, please zip up and send your entire Spriter project to mike@brashmonkey.com and I'll take a look.

thanks!!! I think the image size is probably it, I can't believe that didn't occur to me. I looked and my other animations used sizes ranging 10-50 KB whereas these images are about 1-5 MB. ill try with lower quality images.  if that doesn't work I will zip and send your way. thank you!