Spriter Plug-in for construct 3

Hey there,

I am using a stable plugin version 8-16-2021 in construct 3 and I am trying to import spriter project at runtime with the Event provided Load From URL.

LoadFromURL.png

the localhost URLs are working fine.

However at runtime I am getting following error in browser console.

runtimeError.png

can someone please help me with this?

@RohitPardhiI will get a chance to look into any issues with the plugin as soon as I finish the current sprint of Spriter 2.  Unfortunately, a change a while back in Construct 3 seems to have broken runtime loading.  The last known version of Construct 3 where runtime loading works is r260.

• 2 weeks later...

There is something wrong with "on create" and "on initialised" in the Spriter PlugIn for Construct 3. A Bug or i did something wrong.

I place several instances of a character created with Spriter and wanted to change the char maps with "on create" or "on initialised". With "on create" just nothing happen and with "on initialised" it works sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes it changes one, sometimes all, sometimes none. Especially when you use "F5" to reload the preview. 

Would be nice if there would be a solution. I use the stable release of C3 version r293.3

24 minutes ago, WhiteEyeDesign said:

There is something wrong with "on create" and "on initialised" in the Spriter PlugIn for Construct 3. A Bug or i did something wrong.

I place several instances of a character created with Spriter and wanted to change the char maps with "on create" or "on initialised". With "on create" just nothing happen and with "on initialised" it works sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes it changes one, sometimes all, sometimes none. Especially when you use "F5" to reload the preview. 

Would be nice if there would be a solution. I use the stable release of C3 version r293.3

I think you might need to add code to wait until all Spriter files are finished loading/initializing and then set their character maps... maybe give them a variable which you could set in the frame editor to the name of the character map you want that specific instance of the Spriter file to use.
Another option is to create clones of the Spriter project and bake the character maps into those Spriter project clones so you can use separate Spriter objects per character instead of trying to use the same Spriter file for all the characters, though obviously this is not a good solution if you are trying to support player customization in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings. Over the past couple of months, multiple separate issues popped up while working on my project and I couldn't really come up with any solutions myself, so I come here again looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance!

1. Certain sprites get very glitchy when animation blending is on (example in first video) and it seems to happen only at certain points in the animation (in this case - when the character inhales and starts walking). No glitches occur when blending is off, and it doesn't happen with every sprite either even if they are structurally similar, which is very confusing.

2. Event triggers work weirdly. When it's triggered the first time - the event happens only once, but on the second trigger it happens twice. In my case, it shoots out one projectile on first button press, and two on second, which is not the intention. Did I mess something up on my part or is it some kind of bug? Not really sure. Second video shows an example of this.

3. Last question: is there a way to export a separate character map for different skins of the same character? It seems to always export all the skins into one map and that has me worried that I won't be able to add an unlimited amount of skins to the character since, eventually, the exported image would be just too big. I figured that a separate duplicate entity can be created to solve that issue, but I'm wondering if there's a more elegant built-in solution that I'm just not seeing.

• 2 months later...

@Difyl Very sorry it took me so long to see and approve  this post. I have no idea why I had to approve it since you posted before are are clearly not a spam bot.

If you ever need assistance or suggestions and for whatever reason get slow response here, feel free to email us directly at mail@brashmonkey.com (same for anyone else who needs technical assistance)

Now, back to your questions: 
1) Animation blending depends critically on the 2 animations you are trying to blend having the same exact bones and image objects in the same skeletal hierarchy. Even if to the human eye two animations look like the same character with the same body parts etc, that doesn't mean the data and code think that's the case. My best guess is some of these animations use different bones, different skeptical set ups, or start with specific image sprites or bones in very different positions etc. between each other, so when you try to blend them, things you would not expect to happen are happening. The only way for me to confirm this is if you zip up and send me (via the email address above) the actual Spriter project (a zip file with the folder including the Spriter file and all the images it uses.) 

2) I've never seen this before. If it were consistent I'd assume you have the same trigger twice on the timeline, but since it works right the first time that's clearly not the case. This makes me thing it's either a bug in your events (though at a glance they look fine to me), or a bug in the Construct Spriter plugin. The only way for me to find out the cause is if you send me your actual Construct 3 project and let me know which event sheet has the logic in question.

Of course if send us any of this I'll delete it immediately after finding and resolving the issues and won't share it with anyone.

3) You can absolutely use Spriter Pro to create a full character (called an entity in Spriter) which has specific character maps all baked in. (meaning those images would become the default images that character uses.) After that, you could then delete the original entity and save this Spriter file as a new character. Make sure you back up the original Spriter file first!
This feature can be found in Spriter's character maps window near the bottom left ("Bake Active To Entity")

CharacterMapsBake.PNG

• 3 months later...

"Hello. I encountered a problem that I can no longer import a project from spriter to Construct 3 using a zip file. There is nothing happening for me specifically. Tried on older versions to import my character - nothing happens either. Check to see if it works for you. "

@Rexouer,

Are you using a Spriter feature you were not using before in the animations? When you say you are using an older version to import your character, do you mean an older version of Construct 3, or the spriter plug-in, or an older version of your character spriter file?

If possible please send us a screen recording of your exporting process, creating the .zip, and dragging it in to import the character into Construct.

Thanks.

Do you use some Spriter function in your animation that you haven't used before?
- I don't understand the question.
When you say you use an old version to import your character, do you mean an old version of Construct 3, or the Spriter plugin, or an old version of your character's Spriter file?
- The old version of C3.
How would you feel comfortable getting a video recording? 

@Rexouer I mean did you use a feature in Spriter like sub-entities or skin-mode mesh distorted sprites.

Regarding screen recording, ideally if you posted it (unlisted if you want) on Youtube and sent me a link (or post the link here if you don't want it to be private) or host the video file on some service like Dropbox or Onedrive and give me the link to it.

You can also zip the Spriter project (the folder with all images and the scml and or scon files in it) and email it to mike@brashmonkey.com and I'll be able to test it directly.

BTW, have you tried importing the Spriter project zip file into a new and blank C3 project?

@Rexouer I mean did you use a feature in Spriter like sub-entities or skin-mode mesh distorted sprites.

Regarding screen recording, ideally if you posted it (unlisted if you want) on Youtube and sent me a link (or post the link here if you don't want it to be private) or host the video file on some service like Dropbox or Onedrive and give me the link to it.

You can also zip the Spriter project (the folder with all images and the scml and or scon files in it) and email it to mike@brashmonkey.com and I'll be able to test it directly.

BTW, have you tried importing the Spriter project zip file into a new and blank C3 project?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello, still loving the product so far and it gives me the ambition to want to finish my first indie game. I see someone else has asked about the opacity animation function not working. Is there any plans still to update this? I have made animations with a sword swoosh that have a nice fade effect but in construct are completely opaque. Should I go a different direction or try a workaround? Any help would be appreciated!

@zrangatang I think you'll need to post a video showing how it looks in your Spriter project and the resulting appearance in Construct. Last I knew fading the opacity of body part sprites etc works fine once imported into Construct, but maybe something in Construct changed to break compatibility a bit. 
I've also not seen any issues where black lines appear around characters once in Construct. 
If you want to help us figure out the causes of these issues quickly, you can zip up your Spriter project and email it to mike@brashmonkey.com and I'll investigate.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You could theoretically do that, but that would require a lot of construct code and might have little visual glitches, but what advantage are you getting from avoiding character maps or just using different animation sets?  You can use stuff like "set animation to walk"&str(armor type)" with "armor type" being the variable or string keeping track of the player's current armor type.