Char maps

siltais

Hi!

I purchased Spriter Pro from Steam (release 11, I`m using windows10) - tried this tutorial : 

I used GreyGuy with animations, copied its torso folder in the same GreyGuy folder with folder name skin torso.

I used same torso images - just painted them in different color.

Created new character map for torso and when I apply this char map - the torso is not in right position - its moved away from right position but under object proporties  x; y are the same as 

original torso... 

any ideas? 

You need to copy the default pivot points from the images you're replacing to the new images.
To save time you can multi-select images if you know they have their pivot points in the same place.

http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter_manual/default pivot points.htm
http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter_manual/create a character map and assign effects.htm

Is it just me, or is the character map folder swapping utility broken on Mac?

I watched the video, read the manual, and tinkered with it for well over an hour trying to make it work to no avail. In the end I had to manually assign 13 replacement images each for 34 different character maps even though all the image names and sizes were exactly the same. I have more to do later. . .

Also, I spent the better part of a day learning to write a shell script for the express purpose of putting batch exported PNG sequences into separate folders for each character and animation, because what the hell am I going to do with over 5000 animation images crammed in one place? 

Are these features addressed in Spriter 2?

Did you set the default pivot points in the replacement images to match the default pivot points of the original images they are intended to replace?
Is this the issue that you are having? that the images when you activate the character map are misaligned?

Can you make a screen-recording showing us what you're doing and what the result is?

Regarding batch exporting, are you aware of the features shown in this video (including batch exporting and the ability to save out spriter sheets instead of single frame images)? 

There will be character map like features in Spriter 2, but that and other features will be very different from Spriter Pro.

I'm not the original poster, my issue isn't with pivoting/misalignment, I'm just piggybacking on that guy's thread.

In the beginning of the video I'm just demonstrating that all of the character maps that I set up manually (1 image a time) work perfect.

Then I go to create a new character map, and I demonstrate that the file names and sizes are identical, but when I try to replace the entire original folder, it doesn't work, which is why I had to manually replace each of the 13 images for all 34 character maps.

After showing that I can't make it work with the original file, I replace one of my character maps with another character map, and the folder replacement utility works

Except it doesn't actually work, and I name the character map "fakemap" and demonstrate that it doesn't actually do anything to change the character's images because it wasn't wired up to the original file.

And I'm using Xcode, so sprite sheets are not an option for me, I have to use PNG sequences.

It can't be all that hard to set it up so that the batch export puts everything in separate folders for each animation of each character map, right? I can't imagine how disappointed I would be if I weren't capable of putting together a shell script to fix this problem for me.

Here's that shell script, if you or anyone else was interested. Just some arrays and for loops.

#! /bin/bash

batchPath=/Users/moderateeffort/Desktop/Folder/Animations/Batch
animationsArray=(
RunAttack
RunThrow
Idle
Attack
Throw
Kick
Walk
Run
Slide
Fall
Hurt
Knockdown
)
skinsPath=/Users/moderateeffort/Desktop/Folder/Animations/480/-Skins
cd $skinsPath
skinsArray=$(ls)

for s in ${skinsArray[*]}
do
for a in ${animationsArray[*]}
do
path=/Users/moderateeffort/Desktop/Folder/Animations/Sequences/$s/$a
mkdir -p $path
mv $batchPath/*$a*$s* $path
done
done

It looks like the character map you created near the end (fakemap) was not properly setting the original images to be replaced with the new images, but instead was setting another arbitrary skin folder of images to be replaced. Am I mistaken?

Look at all the other character maps and see that its the original images that need to be replaced with new images, not images from a skin subfolder.

yeah I get that, that what's I was trying to show you.

In order for me to make working maps, I have to replace the original images, but the folder replacement utility just doesn't work for some reason when I try to use it with the original images.

From 1:18 - 1:30 you can see me trying to replace the original images using the full folder replacement feature and it just opens and closes the folder I'm right clicking. Then I switch to a skin subfolder and do the exact same thing, and it replaces all the images the way it's supposed to. 

The folder replacement utility function ONLY works if I try to use it on a skin subfolder, but that doesn't actually make a working map.

The result is that I have to manually replace every image for every skin, which is why I'm on the forums whining about what seems to be a bug on Mac that I would very much like to be fixed D;

Ah. That is odd. You're the first person to ever report such an issue. It's especially strange this is only effecting the original art folder.
It will be very hard to fix this if we can't reproduce it and figure out what is causing this specifically for you and not other Mac Spriter users... hopefully we can figure the cause.

In the mean-time, I think it would be easier for you to use a search and replace function in a text editor to simply modify your new character map to be pointing from the images int he original folder.  You can load an scml file into any good text editor to manually edit it.

I'll see if I can replace this character map setting bug on my mac and report back here.

If I'm the only person with this problem then I guess it's nothing to worry about. Hopefully it will work itself out when I move onto another project.

Regardless, I wouldn't really want you guys to take time away from Spriter 2 to fix a petty bug like this, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that would be carried over.

I had no idea I could read/edit an scml file with a text editor, that's an awesome tip! Thanks, Mike!

Thanks for your patience and support. Whenever you run into a problem, feel free to email support@brashmonkey.com . We check emails there several times a day and do our best to help Spriter users resolve issues before they spend hours working around something we might be able to fix for them (or at hopefully at least suggest a faster work around).

cheers.