Child Segement won't scale along with Parent Bone

Mana

Hi Mana... please always tell us what OS you're using Spriter on and make sure you're using the latest build of Spriter (and if it's thye normal or Steam version) when reporting potential bugs or asking questions about functionality.

I was just able to reproduce the bug. Try typing the bones y scale in the Object properties instead of dragging on the bone scaling widget and I think you'll get your desired result.

Amazingly, it would seem you're using Spriter in a way no one else did, and are the first to report this issue.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not mentioning Spriter version and OS version.

I thought it was not a bug, and I was just doing things wrong.

I’m using the latest build of Spriter, with Windows 7.

So, will this bug be fixed in future?

I find it troublesome unable to scale the rigged character easily. (due to this bug)

Yes, the xy scale Object properties method works, but it is far more inconvenient, especially if you have to scale very frequently.

Good news. This is not a bug, but a feature, and we were missing something. (I forgot about it)

Put your mouse-pointer over the child bone you want to be scaled at the same time and hold the right mouse button down. Keep it held down and move the mouse pointer over the 4 arrows pointing outward toward the corners to turn on scale inheritance.

Now when you scale the parent bone that child will scale too.

Thx again for the reply, it does work. I see, pretty cool stuff & smart feature.

However... this solution poses 2 new problems:

1) The inheritance state will be reset the next time you open Spriter.

2) if my rigged character consists of a lot of Child Bones, I have to click every single bone. A steam user seems having the same problem.

Combining problem 1 & 2, if I want to scale my rigged character, I have to do click every single bone every time I open Spriter. (┳◇┳)

img.jpg

One possible work around is you can can create a scaled clone of entire animations. Just under the Animations title of the animations palette, click the three little dots and set your x and Y scales and click OK.  You could then copy the scaled frames back into the original animation if you want one animation to have the character actually enlarge over time.

You can also create a scaled clone of entire Spriter projects, which actually creates new scaled images instead of changing only the bones to stretch the original images, in case that is helpful.

These are the only possible work-around I can think of unless you made a video or series of images explaining the exact effect you want to do.

BTW, Is scaling the character in the game engine itself not an option?

You could then copy the scaled frames back into the original animation if you want one animation to have the character actually enlarge over time.

I tried it. It works. *thumbs up*

But this method doesn’t seem very convenient or versatile. Especially if your rigged character enlarge and shrink multiple times throughout the animation.

=========================================

a video or series of images explaining the exact effect you want to do

All I want is to simply scale my rigged character.

https://imgur.com/a/O4ca1Qo

img 1 = I try to find/use some intuitive and easy method to scale the rigged character. I think, clicking or dragging something should do it, okay, let me drag the greatgrandParent Bone. Ugh, it failed, things don’t work like what I expect.

img 2 = Now I have to rely the easiest methods among all methods I know. Set every single child bone’s scale inheritance (yes, the next I open Spriter I have to do this all over again)

img 3 = Finally, I can scale the rigged character by just simply dragging something. This is what I want. This is also how you scale things in most software, right? Simply drag as you see fit. Now I must not close the Spriter no matter what happens. . . . . . (υ´Д)

Sorry, this seems the be the best and fastest way to do what you need to do.  I think creating scaled clones of the animation and grabbing the key-frame at the size you want and pasting it into the original animation is the fastest way, as opposed to turning on the inheritance for sprites all the time.

Cntrl+A, Cntrl+C,  and then Cntrl+v in the target part of the timeline work to copy entire frames content.

Sorry we don't have a more convenient solution for you.