RPG_Heroes_Pack_Essentials palette issues?

Not sure why but if I try to edit the base parts of this art pack the color palette no longer applies correctly to that part. I'm using GIMP and I'm not editing the colors. As soon as I copy over it (PNG) only certain colors of the asset change. I'll include a screenshot of what I am experiencing. All I did here was open the 'chest_front_0' of the 48x48 male, changed nothing and saved over it. I'm even using the same indexed color that the file loads with. The one in the image is: fcdc9a. For some reason this color doesn't act right. Thoughts?

issue1.png

Gimp is not a program specializing in pixel art and indexed color modes, so when it saves its rearanging the palette and likely removing unused colors etc to make the resulting PNG smaller. You might be able to find a setting in Gimp's options to have it "not reduce color depth" of PNG images while saving, but if not, you'll need to use a program specializing in editing pixel art, like Pro Motion NG etc. 

17 minutes ago, Jason Hymas said:

Thanks Mike. I'll look into that since I'm fairly proficient in GIMP and not Pro Motion. I also couldn't find anything out there as to add more custom assets to the heroes_pack char map. Is that possible and if so have you made a tutorial for that? Thanks again!

Copy whatever body part images are closes to the new version you want to add, and rename the copies to whatever you want. Carefully paint over each body part image, leaving the palette and the image dimensions totally intact.

Then create a new character map which swaps the default body part that you're replacing with the equivalent image of the new body part images you made.

That's it.