Spriter Hierarchical Scale Logic

shadowslair

Hello, I`m experimenting with Spriter, but I there`s some scale behavior that I find weird. For example when I have a bone and some sprite attached to it, and I scale the bone on X axis, the sprite scales up in its own X axis. So the final transform is simply a multiplication by parentScaleX * childScaleX, not taking any rotations into account. Spriter is the first tool I can observe this behavior. I`m sure this calculation is faster performance wise, but to me it is incorrect. I`ll attach some pictures that describe the problem. Can you please explain what`s the idea? Thanks in advance. =)

Spriter.jpg

3ds max.jpg

This is why we recommend you set up your body part images before exporting from the art program to be lying as though the character is lying flat on its back. This way when you stretch the bones the images stretch accordingly.

This does indeed reduce performance and data overhead sense the in order for stretching to always match you'd need control of each of the 4 corner (vertexes) of each image sprite and to be able to position each independently. 

This video explains more:
https://youtu.be/NrgGhK48Joo?t=2m9s

Yeah, I understand that with sprite rotated at 90 degrees the orientations will match and then the scaling will work, but it could be a bit of work when one has like 20 animations ready and the 21-st needs some scaling, so he`ll either need to "fix" the image and go through all the animations and rotate the objects correspondingly or create a new rotated image and use it for the new animation. The first approach is the clean, but time consuming one and the second is the dirty way of doing it.

Thanks for the answer, Mike. See you around! Cheers! =)

44 minutes ago, shadowslair said:

Yeah, I understand that with sprite rotated at 90 degrees the orientations will match and then the scaling will work, but it could be a bit of work when one has like 20 animations ready and the 21-st needs some scaling, so he`ll either need to "fix" the image and go through all the animations and rotate the objects correspondingly or create a new rotated image and use it for the new animation. The first approach is the clean, but time consuming one and the second is the dirty way of doing it.

Thanks for the answer, Mike. See you around! Cheers! =)

I hope not all body part images will need stretching. I think the dirty approach is best. It's a shame neither you nor the artist spotted the information in that video before starting. I'll try to make a new video that concisely points that out and put it near the front of the quick-tips video playlist on our Youtube channel.