(SECOND UPDATE! )FULL Platformer game engine for Construct 2/3

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi all Construct 2/3 Users. We'd love to get your feedback on this platformer game engine we're making:

UPDATE! : This is the second test build which I think fixes all the reported bugs, and tweaks the default gravity and inertia to be far less floaty. I also added a quick message in the game when you are in or switch to keyboard controls which tells the players what keys are used to control the game. 
Note: the link to the game has been changed and the previous link will no longer work. 

Please test the game here and provide feedback and bug reports so we can perfect the engine and make it available ASAP!

http://box5469.temp.domains/~bitbeamc/platformer_03/

Hi everyone, This is a fully featured platformer game engine created with and for Construct 2. The player character, Boss character and menu system are all animated and controlled with Spriter. We'll be making this engine available to everyone who owns Construct 2 and Spriter Pro in two forms.

The footage you see is of the full version of the engine, which will include all of the royalty-free art you see here and several advanced features such as:

The ability to slide against and jump off of walls.

The ability to float and swim in water.

Signs or NPC sprites to deliver hints and plot points to the player.

The ability to switch to running as opposed to walking by holding the attack button

,and a balance-check animation for when the player is standing at the very edge of a platform.

Both versions of the engine include:

Blocks the player can break with their head.

Blocks which produce a power-up that gives the player the ability throw bouncing fireballs.

sloped platforms, moving platforms, and jump-through platforms.

The ability to make auto-scrolling levels.

Objects that act as trampolines or spring-boards.

Flying enemies that become basic land-bound enemies when hit.

Multiple save game slots and a simple level select system where beating each level unlocks access to the next.

Automatic detection and switching from mouse and touchscreen controls, keyboard controls, or game pad controls.

And more.

The Essentials version of this game engine will be free for everyone who owns Spriter Pro and Construct 2, but will lack the advanced features I previously mentioned and most of the art will be grayed out or water-marked so the art would need to be replaced, recolored or painted over.

The full version will become available for purchase and will include everything shown and mentioned in this video.

Either version can be used create free or commercial games or for learning or game creation classes.

Just imagine the benefit this engine could offer to aspiring game artists, who can build their skills by creating all new art and animations for every aspect of the game, and then have a completed game to show off in their portfolio! We'll be making a full set of videos showing how to edit every aspect of the game within Spriter and Construct 2 and advanced videos showing how to add custom features to the engine.

At it's current state the engine is feature-complete, but has not yet been thoroughly tested for bug-fixing and final polish. If you're interested in this engine we welcome you to play the most current version of the game at the link provided and tell us about any bugs you might find or suggestions you might have. We'll do our best to finalize the engine and make it available as quickly as possible and your feedback can really help make that happen sooner. We look forward to hearing from you!

Edited by Mike at BrashMonkey
Updated game build and info.

Hello, I cannot control the character with my Keyboard.

I need to touch buttons which appears on the screen to control the character.

Sometimes the animation of character does not play. shows only static image.

I am using PC & Mouse, Windows 10 OS, Chrome Browser.

Thanks..

5 hours ago, KaixaZero said:

Hello, I cannot control the character with my Keyboard.

I need to touch buttons which appears on the screen to control the character.

Sometimes the animation of character does not play. shows only static image.

I am using PC & Mouse, Windows 10 OS, Chrome Browser.

Thanks..

I think you might need to click inside the screen once for the keyboard to work. I think this is a browser limit and would not effect a game exported for mobile apps or Node Webkit etc.
Is there any chance you could make a screen recording showing me the issue with the character not animating to help me pinpoint the cause?

When the character animations freeze are you using keyboard, mouse, or gamepad to control the character? Can you pinpoint a certain input or event that makes the character's animation get stuck?

Thanks very much for taking the time to report these issues. We really appreciate it.

Sorry  i dont know how to make a screen recording.. can you recommend what software that should be used?

But you can reproduce with these steps:

1. After the game already on the level, then press "Space" keyboard button, the game will paused.

2. Click the RESUME button on the screen with Mouse to continue the game. 

3. Then Move the character with LEFT & RIGHT Keyboard button. You will see that the animation freezing.

Btw, i cannot find which keyboard button to make the character  Jump. I can only move forward & backward.

2 hours ago, KaixaZero said:

Sorry  i dont know how to make a screen recording.. can you recommend what software that should be used?

But you can reproduce with these steps:

1. After the game already on the level, then press "Space" keyboard button, the game will paused.

2. Click the RESUME button on the screen with Mouse to continue the game. 

3. Then Move the character with LEFT & RIGHT Keyboard button. You will see that the animation freezing.

Btw, i cannot find which keyboard button to make the character  Jump. I can only move forward & backward.

Excellent feedback and bug support. Thanks!

The Z key jumps, the X key throws fireballs

Hello, this is my new notes:

1. After i can access level 3, another level (level 4 & 5) are also opened. So, I can also play at level 4 & 5 without firstly finishing level 3.

2. The jumping time is too long. It feel that the character floating for a long time at the air, so for my point of view that is rather boring :)

I have question regarding of collision. How to deal with the collision between the character & enemy?

Are you using Spriter Hit box from Spriter Editor than import it at Construct 2? OR you are using a brand new C2 Sprite Object from Construct 2 Editor as for the collision box?

http://box5469.temp.domains/~bitbeamc/platformer_02/

UPDATE! : This is the second test build which I think fixes all the reported bugs, and tweaks the default gravity and inertia to be far less floaty. I also added a quick message in the game when you are in or switch to keyboard controls which tells the players what keys are used to control the game. 
Note: the link to the game has been changed and the previous link will no longer work.