scon vs scml ???

KENYONB

Can someone please explain the difference between the two file types? and why we have the two different file types?

I recently opened an old project on windows, opened the scml file and the animation looked funny. opened the scon on Mac and it looked the way I had remembered it.

also, why dont either file type open on mac when double clicked? I have to open Spriter and fine then open. on windows I can just double click the scml file.

scml is actually XML
Scon is Json

How old was the project? It could have been so old that Spriter updated its data format since then (I think that was several years ago)

Regarding Spriter on Mac, I assume that's because we didn't bother "registering" Spriter with Apple so it's not granted  such niceties as programs that jump through the hoops to register with Apple. But that's just a guess.  Hopefully you can drag an scml or scon onto the Spriter icon and that will work.

Thanks for the explanation Mike.

Which format should I be using if I am going to work on both Windows and Mac?

The project was old. I'll have to check the date, but I just needed to export individual sprites to import into C3 since I'm having issues with the plugin. The problem was that the animation was different in the scon from the scml. I must have edited one of the files and not the other.

If I have to use the two file types, is it possible to have the files sync with each other?

what's odd is that the scml file on Windows displays differently than on the Mac. I even opened the scon file on Mac, re-saved as scml, it plays fine on Mac, but when opened on Windows, it plays incorrectly. See below. The stars shouldn't overlap one another, but in the Windows export they clearly do.

scml export from Mac:

ouch_from_mac.gif?raw=1

scml export from Windows:

ouch_from_pc.gif?raw=1

Wow, that's really strange.

So are you saying the animation both doesn't look right or export right on Windows, or it looks right but exports incorrectly?
I have a theory what the difference is between Spriter versions based on these great example GIF's you created, but I know its the same code base and just exported out, so this might be caused by a problem in the QT development platform causing different behaviors on different platforms.

If that's the case, I think I know how to work around it.

I think if you add one more key frame to the little star when its the furthest to the right then it will play back properly on both platforms.

The animation doesn't look correct in Spriter on Windows and when exported from Windows.

Also, it is just the SCML file. The SCON looks correct on both Windows and Mac.

I have tried re-saving from the SCON on Mac as SCML, then opening on Windows and it is still incorrect.

Adding an additional keyframe to the little star when to the right did not fix it. It just made it rotate.

4 minutes ago, KENYONB said:

The animation doesn't look correct in Spriter on Windows and when exported from Windows.

Also, it is just the SCML file. The SCON looks correct on both Windows and Mac.

I have tried re-saving from the SCON on Mac as SCML, then opening on Windows and it is still incorrect.

Adding an additional keyframe to the little star when to the right did not fix it. It just made it rotate.

Can you zip up the Spriter project (the folder with the scon and all the images used) and email it to mike@brashmonkey.com so I can take a look?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, KENYONB said:

Sure thing. Will send it right now. Thanks for the help.

Awesome. It's as I expected.

Load the scml on Windows  and go to the keyframe at 500 and select the bone for the problematic star that is pointing perfectly straight up. Alter the angle of the bone so that its just a tiny bit further along that perfectly straight up...in other words just starting to lean  toward the right.. then re-fix the angle of the star image to be zero.

This should fix the issue.

Amazingly the same code on Mac decides to tween the angle of the bone in the opposite direction than the PC (clockwise as opposed to counterclockwise) when either direction would be the same number of degrees. 

That did get it to behave properly in the SCML file on Windows. Thanks.

But why would the SCON on Windows behave like the SCML and SCON on Mac (eg: how I intended) and the SCML wouldn't? I would assume that both SCML and SCON would behave the same way on Windows.

And which is the expected behavior for that sort of keyframe issue, the SCML on Mac or SCML on Windows?

1 hour ago, KENYONB said:

That did get it to behave properly in the SCML file on Windows. Thanks.

But why would the SCON on Windows behave like the SCML and SCON on Mac (eg: how I intended) and the SCML wouldn't? I would assume that both SCML and SCON would behave the same way on Windows.

And which is the expected behavior for that sort of keyframe issue, the SCML on Mac or SCML on Windows?

That's a really good question. I forgot it was specific to scml. I currently have no explanation for that. I'll have to discuss it with Edgar (Spriter's programmer) when I get the chance.