Construct 3 failed to open Construct 2 project

KENYONB

Has anyone else experienced a problem trying to open a Construct 2 project in Construct 3 that uses Spriter animations and the Spriter plugin? I know it is the Spriter animations because I deleted them from the project and it opened just fine.

c3-failedtoopenproject-2018-06-29.png

I opened a thread on Construct's forum in case anyone wants to chime in there...

https://www.construct.net/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/failed-to-open-project-from-c2-135949#forumPost941546

I think until the Construct3 SDK is updated to allow us to finish the port of the Spriter plugin to C3, there's nothing we can do about that. A request has been sent recently to Ashley at Scirra, so hopefully it won't be a very longf wait. 

Until then It might be best to continue to use C2 for any on-going project that already uses Spriter for now.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Here is the reply from Edgar in another thread that I gleaned this information from earlier:

" As Mike said I'm still working on Spriter 2 stuff at the moment, but I was able to take a look at this issue, finally.

I filed a bug as per Ashley 's suggestion, and it should be simple to update the plugin once the SDK supports animations.

I made an attempt to circumvent the issue using images instead of animations under the hood, and it doesn't seem like there'll be an easy way to do it without breaking projects and redoing a lot of work on the plugin.

Thanks for your patience again everyone. "

Here is the thread it came from: https://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5086-using-spriter-animation-in-construct-3/&tab=comments#comment-25185

@kenyonb -  Is it using the self-drawing method of the plugin?   The C3 plugin doesn't support using separate sprites yet.  If it is self drawing,  this is just a quick thing to try, but I haven't seen this issue before, so I'm not sure if it will work.  But try to open up the sprite editor for each scml object in C2 and close it again, and resave.  The Spriter plugin doesn't have an 'animation-folder' tag it expects, so it might have something to do with the way C2 is saving the animations in the capx.

I just followed instructions and imported into C3 and it seems to work with a few issues...

As others have noted, I can't see the character in the editor. just the empty scml square sprite. is it possible to see the character in the editor?

The animation is HUGE! How can I have it set to proper scale automatically? resizing the empty sprite doesn't correspond with the bounding box size.

4 hours ago, KENYONB said:

I just followed instructions and imported into C3 and it seems to work with a few issues...

As others have noted, I can't see the character in the editor. just the empty scml square sprite. is it possible to see the character in the editor?

The animation is HUGE! How can I have it set to proper scale automatically? resizing the empty sprite doesn't correspond with the bounding box size.

Regarding the animation being far too large in C3,  you should strongly consider creating a scaled clone of your spriter project, reduced to the actual size you'll actually need, and importing/re-importing that one into C3 as opposed to just scaling it down inside C3. This is because that's very wasteful for memory/load-time and could harm performance if C3 has to constantly store and manipulate needlessly large images.

https://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter_manual/creating a scaled clone of an entire project.htm

I am working to scale. The graphics imported into Spriter are to scale. And when I export individual sprites in the animation and import in to C3, they are to scale. However, when I follow the method you outlined in your tutorial, the animation is huge during playback. It is like it resized the graphic 500%. The edges are blurry/pixelated. The scml sprite is 250x250, so I reduce to 50x50 and it looks normal.

And when I was using the Spriter plugin in C2 it looked fine.

Here you can see the elephant imported as a separate sprite from Spriter on the ball, and above him is the one imported using the scml plugin. he's huge.

spriter-c3-toobig.png